Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ignition on '91 760 is stuck and I can't turn the key to remove the ignition. Metal parts have come out the key-hole, so I'm pretty sure it's a gonner.

I've managed to locate a complete steering column with ignition, door/trunk locks, and keys for a whopping $75 so worst case I can pull the entire column and replace it. However, I'd like to save that as a last resort if anyone has some tips on pulling the ignition out when the key won't turn. Or would drilling it out still be easier than pulling the entire column? Thanks for any advice.

Al

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I think the 91 still had a 2 peice set up with shear bolts.If so you can just remove the bolts on the old one and split it and replace it with the new one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I figured drilling it out would be the only choice. At least I'll have an entire column as a back-up if things go bad or get ugly. I'm pretty good at breaking things.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Im not sure if you understood what I was saying.Some of them had a 2 peice housing that the lock cylinder goes into.You might be able to replace that easier than drilling the cylinder out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like if I drill the shear bolts under the column, I should be able to get the ignition out correct?

Thanks!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Yes the entire assy. will come off.Is there anyway you can take a picture and post it?This way I make sure you drill the proper bolts off.

It has been a while and I don't want to give the wrong advise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll see if I can post a pic in the next few days. I don't expect my new ignition to arrive until next week sometime. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Tech,I just completed the ign. cyl removal on my 88 760 turbo.I wound up using a die grinding bit to get into the tumblers.After a fierce battle of wits they gave up and the cyl turned to pos.1 and out it came.After looking at all the parts it almost looks like the lock tab under that 2mm access hole could be carefully forced down with the 2mm drift.Have you ever had a chance to examine this?As a happy ending to my saga,after we cleaned out our repo wagon,under the spare tire we found a complete set of Volvo service manuals and the complete service records up to last Sept! Treasure! A reborn 184k 88 760 turbo-Good Carma for sure! Thanks!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It has been so long since I messed with a lock cylinder.I know about the little hole but most if the time you need the key to move it.Most of the time it is easier to remove the entire assy.and replace with a used or new assy.

Im glad it worked out good for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts