Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there - I have a 2005 XC90 and want to get some kind of bike rack for it. I need to be able to carry 2 adult bikes and, for now, one toddler bike. I looked into the trailer hitch mounted one since it seems like the easiest to unload, but at over $1200 in parts and labor (one dealer quoted me over $1500) to have the hitch, base unit, bike rack, and license plate extender installed, it's seeming a little expensive and cumbersome to me (we are trying to get into riding and need to make it easy on ourselves, but don't want to spend a fortune) and so I'm moving on to plan B. I am thinking of trying the "upright bike carrier" + silver cross bars instead, which should be a lot cheaper (especially if I buy the parts online and install them myself). Any thoughts or opinions? Right now we need to transport 2 adult bikes plus a toddler bike. I thought I could put the two adult bikes (wheels and all) on the roof in "upright bike carriers" and then my son's toddler bike in the back. Is it awkward/difficult to lift bikes up onto the roof and attach them to carriers up there? Is it stable? What's the benefit of a fork-mounted carrier instead of one where you leave the front wheel on the bike in the carrier? If the hitch-mounted carrier is the most stable/best option, then I will try to make that work (might get the trailer hitch professionally installed but then try to install the rest myself to save $), but I am really interested in everyone's opinions. Thanks in advance - Jennifer

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
I like the idea of the trailer hitch if I got one, but that price is crazy. I would shop around some bike shops. Hopefully you can find one at a nice price.

I dont know what kind of roof rack is best, cant help u there...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi
I too have a 2005 xc90 with a tow bar hitch and 13 pin electrics i have a thule euroclassic pro 903 which can carry 4 adult bikes if u buy the extra adaptor it carrys three adult bikes as standard dont know wther its on sale where u are but i think its a great bit of kit.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
me too got the Thule - good Swedish quality and dead simple to clip on and off

think it cost $135

as for actually needing to extend the number plate and lights etc that will depend on regs in your country

I simply made up a timber thing that slots into outer slot on the Thule and has number plate and all the lights etc - maybe cost $30 in parts from super cheep China auto shop

unfortunately it seldom gets used anymore as my quad bike is far preferable as you dont need to pedal

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm also in the same situation and would like to hear more about my possible options for getting a rear bike rack. Has anyone installed the hitch and bike carrier themselves? Is it easy to do? I do not want to spend a fortune on the installation. It looks like I would need the trailer hitch base unit and the bike carrier/rack. Is there anything else I would need?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just installed a "Hidden Hitch" hitch and got a Thule Parkway 4-bike carrier last weekend from etrailer.com. Very Pleased. It installed in about 45 minutes (kids were "helping"). Everything looks super sharp like it was part of the car. My total cost for the hitch, locking pin, and carrier was $330.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts