Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum.

My reason for joining and writing is I have admired Volvos for I can't say how many years and WAITED many years. I drove a 79 Camaro for 22 years (while getting a house and other personal financial priorities in order). I was able to acquire the long awaited Volvo (2001 C-70 convertible) in Jan. 2005. The day after I brought it home, the check engine light came on. I bought this car because I began dating a master technician who has been certified for 18 years and I knew he would be able to cut my costs on repairs significantly. (First, I AM with him because I love him). Anyway, the light came on the first time I took the car out and it was a loose hose. (Still I saved on a couple hundred dollar expense by having my own Tech.). Well, approximately five weeks (or LESS) into ownership, the car refused to start one night. My boyfriend got in the car and it immediately started for him. A couple weeks later, again it would not start. I waited about 30 minutes and it started. Well, from Feb. to June, I have been stranded no less than EIGHT times. This is a mystery because the car gives no codes to the scanner from the computer. I didn't go to a dealer with this because it was thought to need a new battery. After we replaced the battery, it was a couple weeks before it refused to start. Six weeks before the warranty ran out, I had my boyfriend take it to the dealership and KEEP it until he could solve this. Well, it refused to start for him only ONE time. My warranty ran out and there is still no answer to the problem. (It is very complex or my boyfriend would have solved this by now). I did not renew the warranty because I read over the repair records on this car and feel it is a pit for money. I plan to trade it in. (I know the person who sold this to me was well aware of all this and now I am burdened with his financial destruction). I have since read reports on the C-70 and one site said the C-70 from years 98 or 99 to 2001 can stop running while driving. I am terribly afraid to drive this car now because of this. Also, in my readings, it said the Volvo C-70 had no changes between the years 2001 and 02. Does this mean the 02 can stop running while driving as well? I have read and reread (hoping I am dreaming) that Volvo is NOT as reliable any more. I just cannot believe this. I want a Volvo because I want the safety reputation. I am very disappointed in the facts I am finding on Volvos. Sadly, on all models. I am in shock, really. My question, does anyone know what would cause this car to randomly NOT start? It always starts, you just have to wait up to 30 minutes (that's real nice when you are getting ready to leave for work). I have a beautiful car and I have sat with everyone in the school parking lot picking up their kids and I am waiting for mine to start.

Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Janice
*Tech- I have read enough to see you are the one in the forum who "carries the burden". If you have any suggestions, don't hesitate to put it in your terminology as my boyfriend will take it from there. Thanks, Janice

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
well this car is essentially same as T model ford - there are pots and a spark goes bang at the top - and again and again

but fuel has limitations as to ratio of mix with air that is temperature dependant - hence we have cold start/warm start/hot start situations and "something" has to vary the mix at all these times [ie lean, just right or rich]

gramps had 2 knobs pulling cables, I have mechanical sensors/switches [which failed 20 years ago so I have replaced with switches so **I** control it - just like gramps] and you have a digital microprocessor to do the job

then on top of all that there is the driver interaction ie do you/boyfriend paddle the gas pedal [or not] when starting and do you do this or not do this for cold/warm/hot start???

I have had cold/warm/hot start problems over years and now know the settings to have instant start for all 3 - but it gets back to my threads re have we tried to computerise too many aspects of a modern car thus CREATING the problem you have ie the computer makes an assumption that does not accord to temperature and driver [potential driver that is]

essentially the problem is you [and the dealer] can not DO a simple fix of eg only pull throttle half way out as gramps could because the computer is in full control

the solution - errr buy a brick pre computer - AND it will be perhaps even safer than the more tinny modern ones

but for more now solutions - sounds like at playground you are flooding engine [too rich] so may need to plant foot fully down to flush out [more air] or to translate to my case I turn OFF the warm up injector so it is not making problem worse

ie it gets down to knowing yr car but a computer makes for bad "communication and interpersonal skills" between you and car

I have mentioned my old 164 had a valve computer [ie pre silicon chips] but by 1975 volvo reverted back to simple mechanical in 264 which I now own [so I assume they had lots of complaints like yours]

will industry in future give more/less jobs to the computer ??? - IMHO it is feedback like yours that will determine the question

but for now clean throttle body and check harness and PRAY

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Does the engine turn over and not start or does it not turn over at all?

If it doesn't turn over then have your boyfriend wire a temp. light to the small wire on the starter.Then the light will turn on everytime you start the car and then it will go out when you release the key and it is running.Then when it won't start if the light lights and nothing happens then the starter is bad. If it doesn't light when you turn the key it is either the immoblizer or the ignition switch.

If it turns over but won't start have your boyfriend get a fuel pressure guage and install it and when it doesn't start see if the guage still rises.If not then the fuel pump is bad or the relay is bad.Then he can wire a light to the fuel pump circuit and then see what happens when it won't start with that light.

Hopefully one of those options will work to help you.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Way to go, Tech...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was having the same problem with my 01 C70 Convertible and after a LOT of diagnosing, it was found to be my key. The chip in my key was malfunctioning and the car would start or low idle and then stop. IT TOOK FOREVER TO FIGURE IT OUT!!! The reason being is that after your car starts successfully 3 times, the computer ERASES the initial fault so the dealers computer sees NOTHING wrong!!!!! The dealership said to either replace my key or, if it happens again, remove the key, hold it far away from the steering column for 10 seconds and then try it again. EVERYTIME it worked!!! I have since started using my spare key and have had NO problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was having the same problem with my 01 C70 Convertible, my check engine light came on and before I know it the car will not start, figured it was a fuel pump so I started doing a little research on this web site. Low and behold I read about the "Key Theory" I figured thats an easy one so I go get my spare key and guess what? Thats right she cranked right up. Thanks a lot I need to go call the Volvo dealer and cancel my appointment and then the towing company.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had exact same problem, but my extended warranty covered both the immobiliser and a new starter after going back several times. Additionally, the alternator went bad and that was replaced too.....thank heaven's for MAXCARE extended warranty !!! Immobiliser ring was replaced first problem subsided, then came back starter replaced problem gone....two weeks later needed new alternator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts