Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greeting forum members!

This is my second question here. My first problem was solves by grendel1960 a few months ago - thanks to him again.

My Volvo is a 2001 V70 T5 which I bought new. It has about 92K gentle miles on it and has not suffered any body damage greater than fender-bender category stuff. I just had the balance checked on my 4-month old tires and they are in balance.

Before and after the check, I’ve been feeling a vibration coming from the rear wheels (on paved, smooth roads). The vibration affects the cars body parts (seats, dash, rear-view mirrors, center console, etc.), but not the gear shift knob.

The vibrations occur between roughly 25-35 mph and 50-65 mph, while heading both uphill and downhill, and they occur across both ranges whether the automatic transmission is in gear or in neutral. The rear brakes work properly as does the hand/parking brake.

My impression of how it feels when the vibrations begin at ~25 mph is that the left rear wheel wants to 'hop'' a little. This sensation smooths out to where it is sort of a 'Magic-Fingers' bed kind of feeling as the speed increases.

Does anyone have any insight about what the problem might be?

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Bob J.

·
Super Moderator
1,931 Posts
one thing I have had in the past is a feeling the back end is drifting slightly, and that was the rear suspension bushes, though I wouldnt be expecting it until at least double the mileage, i dont recall that introducing a vibration, for a vibration, my first thought (like yours ) would be to check the wheel balance.
those rear suspension bushes are a pig to change without the correct tools, but its easy to check, at the outer end they are basically a big eye (surrounded by rubber) with a pin through, the rubber wears and the pin can slop around in the hole, causing the back end to drift slightly, but as i say, that shouldnt be the problem at only 92k, mine occurred at over 200k and was a mot advisory for 3 years before I replaced it (its not a safety issue as the pin stops the suspension arm coming adrift.)
just trying to think of any other possible causes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
one thing I have had in the past is a feeling the back end is drifting slightly, and that was the rear suspension bushes, though I wouldnt be expecting it until at least double the mileage, i dont recall that introducing a vibration, for a vibration, my first thought (like yours ) would be to check the wheel balance.
those rear suspension bushes are a pig to change without the correct tools, but its easy to check, at the outer end they are basically a big eye (surrounded by rubber) with a pin through, the rubber wears and the pin can slop around in the hole, causing the back end to drift slightly, but as i say, that shouldnt be the problem at only 92k, mine occurred at over 200k and was a mot advisory for 3 years before I replaced it (its not a safety issue as the pin stops the suspension arm coming adrift.)
just trying to think of any other possible causes.
Thanks for the quick response. Just took the car for a 80 mile loop north of town, nearly to the Montana border. The vibration is definitely real, so I'm gonna have another shop check the wheel's balances. If they are all good, I guess I'll just have to learn to ignore is minor irritation.

Take care,

Bob J.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts