Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed on most 7xx & 9xx series wagons that the rear has a tendancy to sag. Load the the car and look out, clearance drops to next to nothing.

I will say this, the shocks seem to work fine. When the car is unloaded I figure there is 2 inches of visual clearance. Loaded (weekend of ski gear or kids in the 3rd seat) that visual clearance goes to zero.

Steve

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Your car may have nivomat shocks and they may be bad.Nivomat's are supposed to self adjust when there is a load in the rear.You might want to look into air shocks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you don't have the nivomats and have regular shocks on the car you may want to get a set of over load springs from IPD. IPD

Even Volvo's over time and use parts wear out. You may just need to replace the old springs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will the shocks say nivomat on them? Are they difficult to replace?

QUOTE(Tech @ Mar 1 2005, 02:29 PM)Your car may have nivomat shocks and they may be bad.Nivomat's are supposed to self adjust when there is a load in the rear.You might want to look into air shocks.
[snapback]4268[/snapback]​

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
They have Numbers on them you can call the dealer and they will tell you if they are nivomats.

·
Registered
1 Posts
can you help me with this info
im looking to replace my nivos BUT not change springs
id like to put an air shock on and i need some data on the travel of the original shock compressed and open lenghts
it looks to me that the lower mount is just a regular loop style mount with this bar pressed into it for the mount...
now if i get the lenght and the upper and lower loop inside diameters i will be able to match something up and save a lot of money plus offer this as a solution to others as welll

please let me know

best regards

gerry [email protected]

·
Registered
43 Posts
The Nivomats on my 740 packed up, showed as a bald patch on one of the tyres. I priced up new Nivomats with fitting and decided the price was out of the question. We changed them for air shocks but had to replace the springs as well. Without different springs the car sagged really bad - Roy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts