Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought this 04 V70 2.5T. Im new to the forum, so hello everyone. and I hope I am in the right thread for this. So on my way home just after I purchased this beaut. The "message center" on the dash, says "check brake lamp" (I think). my friend who was following me, called me and said " when you apply the brakes your left rear turn signal comes on, not blinking but is illuminated and goes away when you left off the brake pedal". also i noticed the left turn signal bulb is VERY dim. Any ideas? I'll try to attach pictures of how dim the left turn signal is compared to the right rear turn signal. Im think the turn signal bulb is getting power when brakes are applied through a faulty wire? If anyone has nland idea of where to start or opinions on what to check please let me know. Thanks in advance. Happy to part of the Volvo Fam. Cheers

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,874 Posts
Check the earths in that cluster, what is happening is that if you have a bad earth the power is fed back through the turn signal bulb from the brake, via the internal cluster earth, so you will need to check between the cluster and the main car body earth (or run a new earth from the cluster earth to the body.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Caught me off guard with "earth" but okay I'll pull some of the pastic back and check the wires and look for the ground /earth to the body and see if I can make a more solid connection from the unit to the body. Think it is likely the taillight bulb connector unit is bad itself? Thanks Grendel! I'll report back soon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update I pulled the rear speaker off the D pillar. Saw I tiny bit of corrosion on the connector to the tail light lamp assembly. I struggled to remove the main gray connector. So I decided to removed the entire upper tail light. 2 x 10mm nuts and slightly pinch the plastic tabs around the connector unit. Pop out the assembly disconnected the gray connector from outside the vehicle and found that the metal tab where the connector meets the pigtail was also corroded, it was caked in some sort of black tarnish (no idea why that single connector was tarnished and not the others..) . Scraped the metal tab on the assembly, clean and the contact point of the black wire inside the gray pigtail connector. Plug in and test brake light hazard and turn signal before properly re-installing tail light. A really simple process. Super glad I watch a YouTube video the other day on how to remove the rear d coloum speaker. Makes it a breeze to access all the rear lights bulbs. Thanks again for your help, giving me a place to start Grendel1960

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts