Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 240 wagon with about 131,000 miles on it. I picked it up with about 122,000 and don't have a lot of maintenance information on it. I've got a list of things that should be done at the 100,000 mile mark if I want to keep the vehicle happy. One of the things that is listed is changing the rear shocks. Bentley makes it sound like the r&r is an easy procedure, but then Bentley makes everything sound easy. Anybody willing to give me the heads up on any tip, tricks or warnings regarding this procedure. I'm a determined amateur with tools and enough experience to make me really dangerous
. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Probably the hardest thing is taking the wheel off. On my 87 240, I made one mistake by not getting the top with the washer tight enough and kept hearing a strange click!

·
Registered
9 Posts
QUOTE(Tonasket Bill @ Dec 13 2004, 02:11 PM)I have a 1990 240 wagon with about 131,000 miles on it. I picked it up with about 122,000 and don't have a lot of maintenance information on it. I've got a list of things that should be done at the 100,000 mile mark if I want to keep the vehicle happy. One of the things that is listed is changing the rear shocks. Bentley makes it sound like the r&r is an easy procedure, but then Bentley makes everything sound easy. Anybody willing to give me the heads up on any tip, tricks or warnings regarding this procedure. I'm a determined amateur with tools and enough experience to make me really dangerous
. Thanks.
[snapback]1654[/snapback]​

you've may have done your shocks already--easy job. it will help to get the standalone jacks.

for a "new" 240, i suggest replacing/ flush all fluids, clean the flame trap, check all vacuum hoses are clean & clear of stuff.

also, air box thermostat, throttle body cleaning, idle control valve cleaned, etc.

lots more in another volvo forum when you do a search. brickboard.com

regards,
byron golden
86 245
92 245

1 - 3 of 3 Posts