Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I HAD AWFUL RATTLING FROM THE FRONT END OF MY CAR, SO I HAD THE CV JOINTS AND BALL JOINTS AND ARMS REPLACED ($800.00!) I STILL HEAR THE RATTLING MAYBE IT IS JUST ME? I HAVE NOT GOTTEN NEW FRONT TIRES YET, I DO KNOW I NEED THEM THOUGH, NOR A BALANCING/ALIGNMENT DONE ,IF I DO THAT, WILL THAT MAYBE HELP? HATE TO KEEP BOTHERING YOU! I AM SORRY THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN ASKED IN A DIFFERENT FORUM.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Do you hear the noise when you go over speed bumps?If you do open the hood where the struts come throught the body.Put a 13/16 wrench on the nut and try to turn the nut if it turns easy the spring seat is bad.Check both of them one on each side.If those are good have your sway bars links checked out they will make noise when they go bad.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Jan 13 2005, 12:20 PM)Do you hear the noise when you go over speed bumps?If you do open the hood where the struts come throught the body.Put a 13/16 wrench on the nut and try to turn the nut if it turns easy the spring seat is bad.Check both of them one on each side.If those are good have your sway bars links checked out they will make noise when they go bad.
[snapback]2272[/snapback]​

Yes Sir, when i hit ANY bumps it's the first rattling i heard that made me have the replacements done. And it is still there. rattle, rattle, rattle.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Hi there. I had the $800.00 treatment too. Just to complicate things further-check the top engine mount too. This is another $200.00 half hour job. Most of the clunks will go after that-hopefully. Cheers

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the same problem with 2002 S60 :-( The rattling sound is realy awful. I just passed the tech. check - it's not the suspension... It supposed to be a common problem for Volvo, I think the sound is caused by engine, just want to be sure...
...Auckland, Beckham help! :)

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Hi there. My S80 has just gone over 100,000ks. I have spent a small fortune the suspension and engine mounts and now I am told I need new shock absorbers. They are $1,500.00 for the pair. I am saving 1500 coins now. I spent $200.00 cleaning the throttle body yesterday. But the car is six years old also. I expect those components to start giving up the ghost about now. All I am doing is setting the car up for the next 100,000ks.

I think the initial problem is the weight of the car. I think the car is too heavy for the suspension. That is why we all have virtually very similar problems with the suspension and engine mounts.

Keep in touch

Cheers

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Auckland,

The rear Sachs + Nivomat, Self-adjusting, Self-Levelling shocks here are about RM2K a pair...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mybe I know what's the problem, but somebody from en. speaking volvo service must help me to translate it to english (sorry, I don't know all the car parts names in english). Please, check the part No. 307 14 685. "Free" translation is: stabilizator bar. Am I right?
250$ for pair+work.
THX
J.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Hi there ampangbear. When the agent said the front shocks are $1,500.00 for the pair-I just about went into cardiac arrest. Are the front shocks self-levelling and self-adjusting also?

If they are-that probably explains why they are so expensive.

Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts