Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have just purchased 2000 s80 t6 (from auction). The car has 78,000 miles. According to Carfax report, it seemed to have been serviced by the dealer up to 60,000 miles. I noticed the following:

- Steering was stiff. So I added ATF fluid to the power steering. Steering got a lot better. But then overnight, the oil level dropped by about 3 inches. I suspect leak somewhere.

- I observed thick, dark oil drops from the center of the engine body (roughly). So I suspect engine oil leak.

Is above serious problem? Should I go to the dealer to fix it? How much will it cost--if I assume the worst.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
For the power steering leak check the return line to the resivior.They are known to leak there.If not there check the hoses at the steering rack.They are known to leak there to.For the oil leak most of the time it is the turbo return line o-rings.They are like 3 hrs. labor to replace.Could be as simple as a loose drain plug but probably not.For future refrence the power steering uses special fluid atf will cause more problems.Im not sure where you can buy after market.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANKS!!!!

QUOTE(Tech @ Jan 3 2005, 04:43 AM)For the power steering leak check the return line to the resivior.They are known to leak there.If not there check the hoses at the steering rack.They are known to leak there to.For the oil leak most of the time it is the turbo return line o-rings.They are like 3 hrs. labor to replace.Could be as simple as a loose drain plug but probably not.For future refrence the power steering uses special fluid atf will cause more problems.Im not sure where you can buy after market.
[snapback]2026[/snapback]​

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again. Do you mean that using ATF to fill the power steering is bad? The Volvo manual said to use ATF.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Im supprised the manual said to use ATF.The steering fluid that is used at the dealer is a green fluid and is very thick and sticky.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was told the Volvo PS ATF fluid costs around $25, but you may need one quarter only (two quarts to flush the system) to fill the PS. I would not take a risk by putting an aftermark ATF fluid since every Volvo part is so expensive. In fact, Amsoil synthetic universal ATF ($8/qt.) may be better than the Volvo OEM ATF, but I wouldn't take a risk to save a few bucks. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts