Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, last week I purchased a 1986 240 DL for $600. It has a few irritations that need correcting. Some more serious than others.

#1: The backup lights don't work. I replaced the bulbs, but no go. All fuses look good.
#2: When I break, I get a warning light saying that one of the bulbs doesn't work, yet all the break lights light up
#3: The light that lights up the insturment panel only works if the headlights are off. This one is expecially irritating.
#4: No highbeams.
#5: Fan for heater/AC works for about 3 minutes then goes haywire making all sorts of horrible sounds. Will not stop making this noise even if shut off. So i guess the fan motor needs replacement. How much do one of these go for?

Oh yeah, no jack came with the car, what is a good replacement? Also, are the replacement lenses on Ebay any good? Any better place to buy lenses for a good price? Thanks

-Adam

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
1.The backup lights not working is most likely the nuetral safety switch located in by the shifter.

2.If you have 2 different brands of bulbs it might do that.The sensor that controls that light measures resistance.Some diffrerent brands measure different resistance.

3.Might be a bad headlight switch.

4.There is a relay I believe under the hood for the highbeams.

5.Good luck with the blower motor half of the dash has to be taken apart to replace it.And I think it is pretty expensive.

Look in a junk yard for a jack I think they were the same jack up to 1998 from the other models.

·
Registered
73 Posts
There is a second relay in the headlight circuit on this model. It is up against the firewall, behind the pedals and inside the vehicle. It might affect both the high beam and the instrument panel light. Took me forever to find it when my headlights went haywire--the books didn't show it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I forgot--also, Hirsch Industires of Phoenix, AZ. Sells used Volvo jacks at a decent price. They have a web page, so should be easy to locate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I picked up one of those hydraulic jacks from Autozone last week. Had a heck of a time trying to jack up the car with it. Thus the reason I'm looking for one close to the kind that came with it. :) I'll check out Hirsch Industries, thanks. The few postives about this car is one, It runs smoothly, and two the cruise control works. (oh, and seat heaters work...now if they could of invented seat chillers) . My temp fix for the Instrument panel is to aim a keychain LED light at the speedometer (stuck to the the car with some of that sticky wall putty stuff ). Thanks.

-adam

·
Registered
1 Posts
5.Good luck with the blower motor half of the dash has to be taken apart to replace it.And I think it is pretty expensive.
Has anyone tried doing this by themselfs?

Is it simply time consuming or is there something that's seriously difficult and requires skill?

·
Registered
13 Posts
#1: If you don't own a meter, buy one, and learn how to use it. They are indespensable when troubleshooting electrical problems. I personally have not had any problems with back up lights, but a meter would be the first thing I would grab to start troubleshooting
#2: There are several posts for brake light problems. Search them for some ideas. Try a matched set of new bulbs, and you may even want to get the brand that the volvo dealer sells
#3: the dash lights sounds like a tricky problem, again, a meter and wiring diagram are your friends.
#4: I had a faulty hi/low beam switch. I was able to repair it. It had a crack, leading to intermittent contact.
#5: When I bought my 88 244, a few years ago, I had the fan replaced in a shop. Fortunately, I split is with the original owner. It was $700. The entire dash must come out. The shop bought an aftermarket unit, and it included a new switch and resistor. Be sure to go for the extra parts, it will be money well spent. Mine is kind of noisy, but I am not sure if volvo brand is any better. Any one else have an opinion?
I have bought a rear lens and corner marker on ebay, and been very satisfied. I bought the cheapest new units I could find, and they are perfect. I have yet to replace my headlight lenses, but that will be next. I would not be hesitant to buy on ebay if they have good feedback.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh yeah, if you are using the jack for your regular garage maintenance, (oil changes, repair work, ect), don't bother with the jack in the trunk. Buy a decent floor jack and a pair of jack stands. Worth their weight in gold, and way safer. Keep the trunk jack for those roadside emergencies. (And hope you never have to use it)

·
Registered
138 Posts
1. Make sure that the panel in the back, and the bulb socket that you twist in are clean, i have run into problems with those circut boards going.
2. I will have to agree with the others, some cars more picky than others, i havn't run into the different light means the bulb comes on, but i believe that is the first thing i'd check.
3. again, i agree with what has been said, check the headlight switch.
4. Check the relay as previously noted.
5. I can get you a price from our dealer in MA if you like, i do know it isn't cheap, and as they mentioned, it is a pain to remove the dash and put in the new fan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts