Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i wanted to know where the problem areas are on these cars because im looking into buying a used 96 or 97 850R. Also what does T5 and such mean? Thanks

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The evaperators leak sometimes.The ABS modules go bad.
Other than that they are good cars.

The T-5 means high pressure turbo.The other turbo 850's are low pressure turbo.
The 850R is a hole different beast as far as the engine setup.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Gotcha... ok well thanks for all the info. Im lookin into buyin one soon so i will prob. be back on here within the next couple weeks and be postin pics of my new ride. I think im goin with the R becuse i love preformace cars and the stance and engine specs are awesome. Im gonna have to look into the ABS module and the evaporators but i think i will have enough money to replace them and then put some mods on it. I was looking at an ECU upgrade and replaceing the lights in the instrament panel with a bright white Lexus like lights. Would any of this be a problem do you think?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I don't think that would be a problem.
Check with the buyer they might have replaced some of the parts already.
If something goes wrong will you be able to work on it your self?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya i can work on it for the most part... i can ussaly install things but im not very good with workin with the internal engine. I will ask the owner about upgrades.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Ok cool Just incase you ever need help let me know I am over by disney.
Maybe I could give you a hand.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(PoleDanceinPanda @ Jun 18 2005, 01:50 AM)Hey i wanted to know where the problem areas are on these cars because im looking into buying a used 96 or 97 850R. Also what does T5 and such mean? Thanks
[snapback]9902[/snapback]​

DEFINITELY go for the 850R, dude!

The 850 T5 packs 225bhp at factory. The 850R is more! (Of course, nowadays, the 'R' models usually bring 300 bhps with them under the hood!)

Hope you enjoy your ride...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thanks man im in Tampa so im only about an hour away... I went out and looked over the weekend and found a white 97 850R with 97000 miles on it. It cost 6,450 and they said they replaced the ABS modulator but not the evaporator. Im gonna keep looking around but im gona bring the family machanic with me so he can check everything out. I test drove it and as soon as the turbo really kicked in I was amazed. Theres no way im not getting an R. O and thanks ampangbear for the engine specs i was just about to look for them.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Sure thing, dude.

Tech, I think here's another one just got bitten by the Turbo-Bug.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Me to!!!

I wish I could afford to buy a turbo.

Later in life I will get my wish A TT Mustang then I will be satisified!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sry i have one more question that i probably asked already and i just skiped over reading it... Are parts expensive on Volvos? What im realy trying to ask is are these cars trouble? Will i be spending alot of money on this car or are they fairly inexpensive to maintain? Are they reliable? I just wanty to make sure im buying a car that wont be a money pit. Thanks
Joe

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Overall they are great cars and pretty cheap to maintain.
There is alot of company's on the net that carry Volvo parts for alot cheaper than the dealer.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(Tech @ Jun 21 2005, 11:24 PM)Me to!!!

I wish I could afford to buy a turbo.

Later in life I will get my wish A TT Mustang then I will be satisified!!!
[snapback]10124[/snapback]​

Life's built on dream, dude...

Keep at it, and it will come true!

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(Tech @ Jun 21 2005, 11:44 PM)Overall they are great cars and pretty cheap to maintain.
There is alot of company's on the net that carry Volvo parts for alot cheaper than the dealer.
[snapback]10137[/snapback]​

I agree, generally they are OK. But you'll have to do some homework too... Get a mechanic to check it for you.

A mechanic I knew, is very willing to lift the car up, and check a lot of things before any purchase is done. Sometimes, he charges just RM10, sometimes, none at all.

I guess it is goodwill business to them too...

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
QUOTE(ampangbear @ Jun 21 2005, 07:35 PM)Life's built on dream, dude...

Keep at it, and it will come true!

[snapback]10159[/snapback]​

Yah one day when life is back on track!!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
***UPDATE*** Ok i have a nice little story. Im looking all over Tampa for an 850R (there dosnt seem to be many) and have found 1 wagon and 2 sedans. I went to look at the first sedan and it was white with around 90,000 on it so i took it out for a spin and loved it. Its to bad that i went back with my machanic and as i was driveing it agian with the owner and my mechanic the exhaut pipe literaly droped off of the car and i was draging it for 2 blocks. Passed on that 1. The next was a red sedan with 175,000 miles on it....lower mileage please. The last was a Red wagon and i was hopeing this would be the one because i liked the mix of being able to haul my fishing rods and football pads while i was tearing up the streets. I went up to the owners door and he awnsered and he was a nice old man who took care of the car. It was his baby with 84,000 on it. Perfect condition. Mechanic gave it the OK so i decided I would come back the next day with the cash. Turns out that night that while the man pulled out of Publix he got rear ended and spun into on-comeing traffic and went head on with a old mercedes. The mercedes won and the 850 was totaled. Just thought i would share my adventures and misfortue with you.

Joe

P.S. If your wondering, Yes the man is ok just a couple of brusies

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Whoah...

Good thing the old man is OK...

But, ehem, ehem... Excuse me? The Mercedes won and the 850 was totaled? It this is so, probably the angle of the impact was on the Merc's side. Because I have seen an 850 and a 240 (W124 Model) in collision, head on... And from where I was looking (in the car moving slowly as the traffic-policeman governed the streets), the Merc's was the bigger loss.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(Tech @ Jun 22 2005, 01:57 PM)Yah one day when life is back on track!!!!

[snapback]10172[/snapback]​

Our prayers for you, boss!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE(ampangbear @ Jun 24 2005, 06:52 PM)Whoah...

Good thing the old man is OK...

But, ehem, ehem... Excuse me? The Mercedes won and the 850 was totaled? It this is so, probably the angle of the impact was on the Merc's side. Because I have seen an 850 and a 240 (W124 Model) in collision, head on... And from where I was looking (in the car moving slowly as the traffic-policeman governed the streets), the Merc's was the bigger loss.

[snapback]10294[/snapback]​

Ya I saw a pollaroid of the wreckage and it looked like Tanks were playing tag going like 45mph...some how that made no sence but what im trying to say is that both cars are solid autos and i guess it was because it was an older model mercedes (86-87 Maybe?) 400 series which are long heavy boats. Idk but what i meant was that both the Volvo and the Mercedes were greatly criplled but the Volvo got the worst of it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts