Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my new volvo v50 t5 since Dec. (8 months). The first week, the CHECK ENGINE light came on. Fuel pump defective. Now the car will not start on the first turn of the key in the morning. I start it the first time and it just wimpers out so I turn the key a second time and it starts! Before this problem, sometimes the engine would "race" when it was started first time in the morning. Volvo service said to use 87 octane gas (I was using premium gas as the manual suggested) and the car will start ok the first time. I'm now using 87 octane and the problem still exists. I have to take it back to Volvo service dept. next week. They said they have never had a problem like this...... my point exactly.......did I get a lemon???!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the exact same problem with my V50. In fact it is at the dealership as we speak for the third time. I called a dealership in Reno (I'm in Texas) after seeing a post on another website from someone with the same problem. A service manager at that dealership said there is no fix for the problem right now and they are not sure when there will be one. I have already contacted Volvo and they are looking into it. Have you talked to Volvo or has your dealership been able to tell you anything else? I am going to request that Volvo repurchase my car. Please let me know if you have any further information. I'm angry too!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine usually starts fine on the first shot in the AM, then idles up for the fuel enrichment cold start crap.

the problem for me is a hot start.

You have to tag the starter for a good couple seconds before it fires. Sometimes it will, but stumbles bucks and burps to life.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently got an XC-90 2006 it has 2500 miles on it and has developed the same cold start problem you described. I am using premium gas as well. Dealer told me yesterday to switch to regular fuel.

I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have my S40 T5 since 2005 and it has happened to me 2 to 3 times. One other time, the engine went crazy going to 5000rpms on start for a second or two.

I've read similar issues on S60 forum as far as not starting on first try. So far the most logical thing I've heard is how fast you turn the key/fob.

The ignition has different positions and it seems that if you go too quickly from the off position to the start that the CPU doesn't always register your action or something like that. I have been more aware and always take my time to progressively turn the key, quickly but step by step. Since then it has always started well. Give it a try and let us know if that fixes the problem or if this is just a myth. Otherwise I don't know why I haven't had the problem again.

Also I use premium gas and don't intend to use anything else. The engine is tuned to do so and you don't necessarily save money by going to a lesser grade fuel, as it will consume more. Plus I thing it is better for the life of the engine.

Greg

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had ignition problems with my 2000 S70. The engine would turn over and then die when I started it. The problem in my car had nothing to do with hot or cold starts or octane ratings. It was the antenna ring -- a gizmo that receives a signal from a chip in the ignition key, without which the car absolutely will not start. I am now on my fourth antenna ring. All have been replaced under warranty -- the last one didn't even last 12 months. If the V50 has the same ignition system, this could be the source of your problem.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Ok, I take back what I said... for the first time on my S40T5 this week after more than 5000 miles I'm starting to get repeated miss start. So far it's not every single time and happens more when the car seats overnight or at the end of my working day. I've tried different techniques I've eared and it is hard to tell what works and what doesn't since it is not doing it all the time.
I don't know anything about an antenna ring. Does it happen to all S40 AND V50 or to the T5 only?
Disconcerting though!
Greg

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you have one of those fancy ignition systems that cannot be hotwired because it will only start with a signal from your ignition key, which has a chip in it, then you have an antenna ring to receive the signal. Check with your Volvo dealer to see if this applies to your car. If so, then your ignition problems could be the result of a failing antenna ring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There have been a whole pile of people having this problem over on the SwedeSpeed forums since about a year ago. It seems to be heat-related and perhaps triggered by summer gasoline formulation. It seems like Volvo might finally have a fix for it.

The problem is so common they have a nickname for it: SSS, or Start, shudder, stall.
SSS thread on SwedeSpeed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts