Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've got a 1999 S80 and have had several issues with it. Lately, the steering wheel has started to whine whenever I turn it. Is this a serious problem? How do I fix it? I had a leak in the fluid reservoir when I first got the car, but the dealer fixed it and topped off the fluid. Today I checked, and it seemed like the fluid was over the max line. Could this be the cause?

Any help would be much appreciated... thanks!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The steering fluid being overflowed doesn't affect it.You might have a bad steering rack or pump.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the same problem with my 2000 S80. It started out with a whine in the steering after driving for about 20 minutes. This happened within the first year of owning it. The dealer added some steering fluid and it didn't happen again for another 8 or 9 months. In the 5 years that I have owned it this problem has been a recurring one. The dealer can never find anything wrong. Within this last year it has gotten worse and nothing alleviates it. Now it has progressed to having no power steering within the first minute of start up until I keep my foot on the gas for a while and then I lose it again for a couple of seconds after about 5 minutes of driving. (Potentially very dangerous). I brought it to an independant mechanic and he says it is the power steering pump. Don't know what this costs but I am getting rid of the car...after 85,000 miles I think this is just the beginning of even bigger problems to come. They don't make 'em like they used to. My new philosophy is get a new car every 3 or 4 years because they are built to break down after the warantee expires. Why else would they be willing to guarantee the preformance of the car for 4 years?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts