Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
unexplained fluid loss on my '03 with 17000 miles; have been reading about this issue on the net..this looks like a quick way for a dealer to make a buck on the public..please check your fluid levels before taking car into dealer with a wheel noise issue..the fluid they add will cost you plenty..

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Hi there. Would you like to tell us which fluid and how much and where it is that you are loosing it from please?

Looking forward to hearing from you

Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
power steering fluid; dealer says its low;yet i get the car serviced at Goodyear every 3000 miles and they never said it was low.. the wife keeps hearing a wheel noise so she took it to the dealer this morning and they said the ps fluid was too low..
when dealers know about a problem that a car has that's difficult to diagnose they seem to make a bundle on treating the symptoms; yet the underlying problem remains...i may be wrong but I don't think so...all I am saying is if you are experiencing wheel noise please be sure that your PS fluid is full before you hit the dealer..they may sock you for fluid and a week later the noise will re-appear...

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The power steering fluid for the S80 is a special fluid.That is why it is expensive.

Most of the time it leaks from the bottom of the fluid resivior check at the bottom and see if it is wet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks tech for your help; i have no doubt the fluid is expensive but my wife got took..its as simple as that..i checked the fluid level in the power steering resevoir this morning and it was past the overfill with a cold engine..so all the dealer did was overfill the resevoir;tell my wife it was low to justify his rip off and that was it..and I bet the noise returns next week..

i would expect this kind of treatment from a quick buck artist dealer but from the guy you bought the car from? what kind of customer relations is that?

BEWARE BUYER!!!!! My guess is Volvo is aware of this issue and have alerted their dealers to profit off of it...

PLEASE!!!!! ALL OF YOU PLEASE CHECK YOUR POWER STEERING FLUID BEFORE TAKING YOUR CAR TO A DEALER!!!!

Still love my S80 as does the wife; just want to warn folks to be aware of some pitfalls at the dealership...good luck!

BTW..the resevoir is as dry as a bone; is it possible due to high underhood temps some fluid just evaporates in that plastic resevoir?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
No that isn't possible.You can also look down at the power steering rack.Sometimes one of the line nuts are known to bacl out a little causing a leak.

The special fluid gets very sticky when it leaks.Look under the car and see if you can see and fluid hanging under there.

BTW: The dealer you goto gives alot of the other dealers a really bad name.
The dealer I worked for would look at the car and top off the fluid and not charge just for looking it over quick.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks again tech; you are my new best friend as I see you also live in FL..i still love my volvo and want to get another but I'll be **** if I give my money to Volvo Village in Clearwater,FL again..can I have the name of your old dealer? he sounds like an good place to shop...thanks!

·
Registered
295 Posts
QUOTE(Fedsales @ Aug 13 2005, 08:38 AM).....i checked the fluid level in the power steering resevoir this morning and it was past the overfill with a cold engine..so all the dealer did was overfill the resevoir;tell my wife it was low to justify his rip off and that was it..and I bet the noise returns next week.....I would have to guess that a 'true' rip-off artist would never have added fluid, and then charged you for it anyway. If it is overfilled, at least he did add some fluid!

QUOTE(Fedsales @ Aug 13 2005, 08:38 AM)......BEWARE BUYER!!!!! My guess is Volvo is aware of this issue and have alerted their dealers to profit off of it......
[snapback]13439[/snapback]​
I can't imagine any company who wants to stay in business (let alone Volvo) giving their dealerships a quick easy way to rip-off the end users of their products.

I am sorry to hear about you experiences. If I were you, I would complain to someone high up at the Dealership and explain why you don't want to come back. Basically, if the high ups never hear about the problems, they leave things as they are. I have seen the average life expectancy for a Service Manager/Service Writer to be about 3 years. Then they shuffle off to another dealership. This is just my experience, and this is in NY. Maybe elsewhere it is different.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the tip..hey look if the fluid was a little low and they topped it off and charged me a few bucks no problem..they are in business to make money i understand that..but $34.00? would you stand for that? and without telling the customer upfront anything? fair is fair but gouging is something else..

i have reported this to management; we will see what happens..also got Mr.Ford involved; let see what he does if anything..i got Rick Waggoner from GM involved in a dispute over my last STS and he agreed with me..

BTW..on an interesting side note the body shop guy at this dealership gave me a quote for some body work on the Volvo after a fender bender my wife had last year..estimate was $1200 and specific parts were noted as needing replacement..a few weeks later I got another estimate from the local body shop where lo and behold the volvo body guy just started to work..amazingly the estimate shrank to $600 and the "needed replacement parts" were not needed..I got the car repaired there and they did a beautiful job...

I know there are honest guys out there; I'd like to meet 'em cause I'm looking for another Volvo..know of any?

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
QUOTE(Fedsales @ Aug 13 2005, 11:38 PM)thanks tech for your help; i have no doubt the fluid is expensive but my wife got took..its as simple as that..i checked the fluid level in the power steering resevoir this morning and it was past the overfill with a cold engine..

BTW..the resevoir is as dry as a bone; is it possible due to high underhood temps some fluid just evaporates in that plastic resevoir?
[snapback]13439[/snapback]​

maybe I am a little slow

how can it be past the mark and dry as a bone as well?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tech suggested to check bottom of resevoir for leaks;it is dry as a bone on the outside;therefore no leaks..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the information..BTW..the dealer called this morning and offered to refund my money to keep me as a customer.. told him I accept and will be back in to see him about an XC90 as soon as I sell my Amanti..so all's well that ends well..thanks for all your help..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts