Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi S80 forum,

I am the proud owner of a Volvo S80 SE T6 from 1998 (1999 model). A couple of weeks ago I was trying to overtake somebody on the highway. As i moved into the fast lane and pressed the pedal to the metal the engine simply lost power just as it was about to transfer power to the wheel making the car accelerate hard. This is not a single event thing. it does this every time I wish to make use of the many hourse power the engine provide and accelerate as quick as the car can. When I let go of the speeder the engine goes into the normal mode and acts as if nothing has happend. I can drive the car normally without the hard acceleration. Yet I got the T6 as it would enable me to overtake fast and efficiently if needed.

I have noticed that it is as if the loss of power happens when the high rpm turbo is about to kick in. I know little baout cars but I was wondering if anybody else had experienced similar problems and if they had the error fixed. The last 2 weeks my car has been at the mechanic. He thought it was some kind of meter (perhaps the air mass meter) that was faulty. Yet replacing it did not solve the problem. My mechinac is a volvo dealer. Yet stil no result. The system reports no errors. Please help my mechanic (and me ;-)) if you can.

Toke, UK

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to let you know - I still have the problem. going on the fourth week, my certified volvo mechanic still has the car. He is having an expert looking at it now. Yet I am loosing my patience. May I ask if you are driving you car with this error? My mechanic has advised against using the car with this particular error. His 'expert' says that it may have something to do with a mismatch between the ignition and the position of the pistons at high RPMs. Yet I am not convinced.

I will of course keep you posted if I or my mechanic find a solution to the problem.

Toke, London UK

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Presumably your mechanic has checked spark, e.g. plugs, coils & leads? Fuel supply good e.g. pump, filter & injectors (and injectors/pipes not loose)?

Could be a vacuum leak, say at the inlet manifold, throttle body or in a vacuum hose?

Could the timing belt have slipped or been incorrectly fitted?

Good luck

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It could be many things.
Spark plugs
Coils
Wires to coils
Turbo boost control valve
Turbo's
A hole in one of the turbo hoses

ETC

Do you have a list of things he has checked?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is what I know at the moment:

1) Spark plugs were changed half a year ago. New plugs were volvo brand.
2) They checked the timing belts - not the problem
3) They checked air mass meter - not the problem
4) I had the throttle body changed 8 months ago - probably not it
5) They checked the turbo - that is not it
6) Coils were changed along with the spark plugs
7) I asked them to check the wirering - they say that is not it as it would cause other problems as well
8) They say the turbo hoses are OK

I just talked to them again - yes, they still have the car - now they are saying they are waiting for spare parts. It was unclear what parts we are talking about - yet it was some kind of pipe and a heat sensor of some sort. They were expectingt the parts this afternoon. I am to call back then.

I wil keep you posted on any developments.

Toke

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(treich @ Oct 14 2005, 02:35 PM)I will of course keep you posted if I or my mechanic find a solution to the problem.

[snapback]16674[/snapback]​

As promissed I am getting back to you. After a considerable amount of time spent my mechainic has finally found the error. It seems that changing the throttle housing fixed it. That is somewhat surprising seeing car should have reported that error. Also surprising as I had that changed less than a year ago.

That part cost £382.50 +VAT. In total the mechanic charged me £2430.89. A lot fo money to fix this particular thing. they say that during the diagnostic process they had to try out a lot of different things. And they cannot remove the parts they put on the car in that process. Does that seem unfair to you. To me it seems completely ridiculous. it means that I am taking the risk of having an incompetent mechanic. Does that mean that the surgeon can claim that it is the drugged patients own fault that he chopped of the wrong leg and he should have said something under surgery. Is it a completely different scenario?

Anyway - if you want to fix a car with similar symptoms as mine I suggest to have a look at the throttle housing first.

Toke

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I'd be talking to the local Trading Standards Officer!

If a (new when fitted) 8 month old part failed that had a much much higher life expectancy, then assuming it's the same garage as fitted it before, you shouldn't be charged anything at all i.m.o. Doesn't their invoice from 8 months ago show all parts & labour as being guaranteed for 12 months?

If that doesn't work then a (factually correct of course) letter in all the local press plus a complaint to any professional bodies they belong to would be my next step.

Word of mouth to friends, family & local owners' clubs will not help this garage's reputation either.

Best of luck, interested to know how you get on (and which garage you're talking about)!

BB

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(treich @ Oct 5 2005, 06:27 PM)I am the proud owner of a Volvo S80 SE T6 from 1998 (1999 model).
[snapback]16231[/snapback]​

This was what I wrote in the first mail. I am not so proud anymore.Here is the scenario since my last mail.

I wrote a formal complaint to Volvo UK sending it by email. They responded fairly quickly the next day telling me they had been in contact with the mechanic and my story did not match theirs. They were very polite but more or less told me that it was word against word and that the only role they could play in such a matter would be the role of a mediator. Also they said that the car apparently had been fitted and dealt with by a non-volvo mechanic previously who did not mend the car in the way that they normally would approve of (So we can only use their own mechanics?). While they were willing to play the mediator role they hoped that we could find a solution to the problem on our own. And to their knowledge the bill was not £2400 but £1600 as some of the parts were on warranty (I had not been told yet, but I still feel exessive as I would otherwise had paid close to nothing). I then told them that the part on warranty was the part that needed changing in the first place and that I did not want to pay for parts that did not need changing. Their reply was that this sometimes happens and it is a normal part of the mechanics process to try things out ...

I must admit that the part on warranty was not installed by the same mechanic. Volvo UK asked me why I had not told the new mechainc that that part was changed just half a year ago. My answer was: how was I to know that was the part broken. And if I had told the new mechainic that that part was fixed just half a year ago, he certainly would not have looked for that part to be faulty. Apart from the faulty thottle housing they changed among other things:

a lambda Sonde (a part I had changed half a year ago as well)
Flush Filter
Fuel Filter
some sort of Polley
Tooth Belt
another sonde

This is of course nice that these parts now are new. Yet I had not asked for it and they did not need to be changed. And the mechanic had told me that they of course did not put anything on that they did not need to put on. And if they did they would of course take them of again when realising these were not the problem. And this is exactly what they did. Apart from this the bill contain about £1000 in labor. A bit excessive in my view.

Anyway - I wil let you know how things go and possibly which mechianc I have used. I am still giving them the benefit of the doubt and that this iis all a misunderstanding.

The discouraged S80 T6 owner

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
That franchised Volvo dealership is carrying the name & reputation of Volvo, Volvo approve, supply & make huge profits from that dealer, the technicians are trained on Volvos using tools & a training programme designed supplied & approved by Volvo & Volvo's assertion that they can only act as mediator is a can of cr*p designed to (try to) get themselves off the hook.

They approve that dealer therefore they carry a huge responsibility for the acts & omissions of that dealer, certainly morally at the very least.

Interested to hear what happens next - you may have a good civil case against the dealer in the County Court. The dealer is meant to be (and market themselves as) "expert" & able to diagnose & fix problems without unnecessary work, parts & expense to you. It was a warranted part that failed, I just can't see how you can be asked to pay for unnecessary parts & labour that with hindsight were not needed, so long as you didn't ask them to do so against best advice.

In my opinion, you not mentioning the fact that the faulty part had been replaced within the past year actually strengthens your argument, otherwise they could assert that whilst they would normally have immediately suspected that part was the cause of the problem, you telling them that the part was new actually sent them off on a "wild goose chase". You didn't, so they had no reason to discount that part as being the cause of the problem.

BB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts