Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 96 850 is drawing power. checked the battery, alternator and everything is fine. 4 ohms is the draw is it is little, however, it still draws enough power to kill the battery. hell a couple days and there isnt no power to start the car no lights come on when in the on possition for the key.....

suspect maybe could be the key system due to the fact that it still chims when key isnt in the ignition and leaving car..... would that be the problem??? maybe clock? something of a little draw

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Was the ohms a typo? When measuring for a parasitic draw you measure the amp it draws.With an amp meter disconnect negative battery cable and put one lead on the battery cable and the other on the battery and take a reading.
If it goes dead in 2 days it is a pretty big draw.

Possible Causes: Glove box light,Bad door lock assy,Trunk light staying on,Alarm relay bad,

If you get a high amp reading start pulling fuses one at a time and watch for the meter to drop.When it does it is on that curcuit.

Check those things out and let me know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pulled out fused and still drawing out power.....there is still a chime noise even when i take out the key from ignition as well... could be the whole thing also my friend who does car stereo notied that even if i pull the radio fuse from the volvo the radio still gets power???? i need to pull out the connection.... he noted that this is just volvo and there electrical is different.......

i think think the car hates me really first emissions now this

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Does the chime go off when the door is closed?It could be many things causing the draw.If you connect the multi meter like I explained and pull fuses till the amps drop that will bring you closer.It may not be the radio.It may be something else.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
found it but got another problem!!!! it was the air pump relay that was drawing all the power and killing my battery... now i ordered the new air pump, relay,maf, and o2 sensors buttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt the air pump isnt being turned on...... could it be the seloniod powering it? apprently whomever i bought the car screwed me lovely!!!! he took out the check engine light bulb so i wouldnt see all this shit... anyway got another big problem air pump isnt turning on again could it be a bad air pump relay? ecu???maybe its not grounding for the air pump to kick in??

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The air pump will only turn on after the car has been sitting for a lond period of time like over night.It will turn on and only stay on for a couple of minutes and then turn off.

Yes I would say you kind of got screwed.Have you replaced the light bulb yet?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
long peirod of time ok what about when the car has been colded down les say a couple hours? wouldnt that be just as good....

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Some times depends on how cold it is outside.I forget the numbers but the engine has to be below a certain # for it to come on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
k ill do that. i think my friend also said that the code might come on as well.... not sure ill get back at you. but thanks allot for your help.. there should be more honest people like you willing to help out there
thanks allot

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Wow. Going to the extent as taking out the bulb for the check engine light, I must say, is REALLY UNETHICAL. That's like leaving you naked, dude. What if you're stranded in no man's land... How are you going to get help. *gulp* Have you at least informed the dealer you bought it from?

This is not good attitude. This is really BAD attitude.

Pity you, dude. But don't worry, Tech is here to help! Right Tech?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Yes the scanner will pick up the codes.When you are ready to tackle it let me know and I will explain how to get it apart for you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the check engine light bulb removed just because it is annoying when it is always lit. I have chosen not to replace the knock sensor for a while now and that is one of the codes that is making it stay lit. There are several codes that I used to freak out about when it was newer that I now tend to not rush to fix until necessary. Call me less than wise...maybe...but unethical??? My intentions are not to deceive anyone.

I don't think it unethical since the codes can still be checked and the bulb can be replaced in the future should someone want to do so. I would probably tell any future buyer that it was removed and why.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Dude, sorry for the misunderstanding.

I thought at first that when you purchased the car, you weren't aware of the light bulb. And I thought that you suddenly realised that you got 'screwed'.

But since it was you who took the bulb out, then i guess it is totally up to you, as the owner.

Sorry again, man.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Trix, the message on being unethical was actually in reply to kosta's message of how the previous owner took out the light bulb, with all the other problems remaining still in place and not fixed, before selling. Of course, if you are owner, you are free to conduct as you please.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
your refering to me not that other guy... and yes that is unethical!!! for sale yes thats classless and illegal but if its not for sale and your car and you intend to keep it it is not. myself, however, i got screwed he was unethical and took it out and sold the car when connecticut did not have emission laws and regulations perfect time, due to them having a shit load of porblems with the new system.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Kosta, my sympathies with you.

We don't implement all the laws on secondary purchases yet, as well. But laws on these for diesel engines are stricter.

For instance, I have been requesting the contact number for the previous owner of the car for a few months now. The dealer still hasn't given it to me yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well im still getting a check engine light coming on after i changed the mass airflow and both o2 sensors with the upgraded wires.... any thing else that needs to be changed???? hell right now im heated!!! and the bastard person i brought my car too said go you will pass emissions!! no jackass obd2 is different if you have a check engine light on you will FAIL PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!!!!! its not obd1 with just the pipe you stick it in you poor some chemicals you pass easy...

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Have you checked for vaccum leaks?There is a vaccum elbow on the end of the intake.It is behind the power steering pump.The elbow goes bad and creats a vaccum leak and that will try the check ending light on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts