Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am purchasing a `80 240 Needs some work. I recall the earlier volvo engines you could buy a weber carb conversion and install on the engine. Weber does not list the later cars as able to use the conversion due to emmisions ect. I was wondering if the earlier cars had the same intake manifold bolt pattern as the later `80 engine or if anyone has known of or done the carb conversion on a car of `80 era.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
I assume it has fuel injection at present? and it is not working too well

my handbook for 1976 264 engine lists performance of both carby and inject vers and carby is about 15% down in power so maybe best to keep inject

what are problems?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi no problems of as yet...just my first volvo...and have always been an old car-carb guy. Makes me feel much safer when i am 2000 miles from home and I know nothing but a carb and ignition on my engine. FI so many parts and soo much $$$ when they go.

Anyhow...it runs fine now for most part except for some minor probs. Just curious if the carb was an option. I noticed the B-18 B-20 engine you could buy the carb set up still but nothing for the later engines...

Thanks

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
not sure re plumbing on 4 cylinder but for my V6 model there is a huge inlet manifold setup which must be specific for injection, so if you were to convert to carby you would need to supply whole new manifold I assume as well as carbie

and I too am an old carbie fan [luved tuning 4 big strombergs on my V12 E Type] so I just ignored my injection on the Volvo for 6 years

it was when it started to play up and garage just kept throwing expensive parts at it I decided I HAD to understand it so I got the book, and now I wonder why I was ever scared of such a logical and well designed setup

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did notice in the haynes manual that came with my car there is a carb set up up for Canadian models only for my `80. Interesting. ...anyone have one or the manifold? I am close friends with a machine shop and as long as I get a carb manifold I can fab adaptor to use the carb I wish.

Doc thanks for the kind tips. I agree...FI is great thing. Just I do alot of traveling and wife and new kid. The FI probs I can fig out....but 12-15 differennt parts...all with 200,000 miles...which are electronic and could go bad at anytime anyplace and leave me stranded...I do love the FI but this is more of an insurance policy.

I used the new weber progressives. Have used them for years to replace the FI on my old VW golfs...better gas mileage then the fi believe it or not and I NEVER ever a problem. Over 200,000 on 2 dif golfs. Anyhow I always wanted a volvo wagen 240 and got one CLEAN and cheap...but that old FI makes me leary. The carb is one part less then $200 for new one runs GREAT and never ever searching what FI piece is causing me to sit in the rain in middle of minnesota at 2 am then when i find the problem trying to get hillbilly bob to order me the correct VO-VO part....

If anyone has any leads on this canadian carb manifold let me know!
Thanks guys
Todd

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
of course the problem MAY become you cant afford fuel for carby OR FI

Goddddddddam that GWBush blowing up Iraq to get cheap fuel for his Ranch [but not for us Volvo drivers]

sorry? - he is blaming it now on the huuuuuurikanes!!!!

dont wash GWB - we saw you coming

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I HATE BUSH!

I hope that most countries realize that 49% of us voted for someone else!

We hate him here too...plus WE are the ones getting screwed by this ****.

Billions to take over and now rebuild then blow up and rebuild IRAQ again...and we can not take care of our own natural disasters...

Sorry but those 51% percent of americans that voted this **** in AGAIN are just plain F O O L S!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts