Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

had a bit of a problem at the weekend. Driving along happily, plenty of fuel, computer says 80miles to empty... engine loses power, splutters, coughs stalls, cuts out. It won't start without kicking the accelerator, idles poorly, splutters, cuts out, etc., all the signs of running out of fuel. Manage to get it started, limp to the nearest petrol station, fill it up, 50litres or so, I figure I must have had at least 8-10litres left in the tank.

Next day, I'm doing a long journey, same thing. This time the gauge is showing about 1/3 of a tank remaining. Filling it up cures the problem almost instantly.

Any ideas what this may be? It's only when at least 1/2 a tank has been used, car has done 100k miles, well serviced from the records. I get an engine warning light after it happens which goes off eventually. It idles badly for a few minutes after filling up after it happens but then runs perfectly, sharp acceleration, no loss of power.

I'm thinking: some contamination in the bottom of the tank (water maybe?); fuel pump problem; filter problem; pressure regulator problem?

Any ideas?

Regards,

Stuart

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Could be a clogged fuel filter or a faulty fuel pump or relay.
The easiest way to figure it out is to get ahold of a fuel guage to hook to the engine and monitor the fuel pressure.

Also try to have the codes pulled from the engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wouldn't these be there all the time, it only seems to happen when the fuel level in the tank hits about 1/3 left?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Does it happen after you have been driving for a while?

Also if the rubber hose between the pump and the top of the sending unit goes bad it will cause problem when it is lower on fuel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts