Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could use some Volvo expertise. I'm looking to buy a used Volvo 940 and I've narrowed my selection down to two. One is a 93 Turbo 940 with 121k miles and the other is the base 94 940 with 95k miles. The 94 has all its service records and was recently serviced. The 93 Turbo doesn't have any service records. I like the 93 turbo better (sportier, more hp, white w/black trim) but it has quite a few electronic gadgets (power everything, sunroof) and electronic gadgets tend to break down. They're both about $3800. This would be my first Volvo - from what I understand, Volvos except for the 850 series tend to be very reliable. How concerned should I be with the 93 940 Turbo? Do they have a tendency to have problems or is it a fairly safe choice as long as I get it service regularly? Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
They are both very reliable.The turbo models didn't have very many problems with them.As far as the electronics they would go bad as much as another make car they are pretty good and will last a while.
Goog luck on your decision.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2nd volvo is a 940 turbo. I have not had any problems with power seats, windows, locks on either car. I would look at the more expensive repair items, and make sure they are O.K. That is, body damage, transmission fluid, front end.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Both are reliable. If I were choosing, it would be the turbo. The reason for this is that is what I have and the additional power has gotten me out of dicey situations more than once. If you ask seller to allow you to have engine, drive train and turbo checked out and they come up healthy then go for it. All the other bells and whistles are handy and only give up at the same rate as other makes. When they have on mine, I go to a salvage yard and get a used part at minimal price. Volvo parts new are highly overpriced As to the # of miles on each it is insignificant so long as main maintence has been done. I am closing in on 500K now and it still keeps on trucking. I've had minor nuisance problems like I have now but these are only difficult to diagnose not repair. Good luck and enjoy your choice.

Corny

1 - 4 of 4 Posts