Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I am still deciding on buying a 2006 S40 when they come out in August/September of this year but after 2 test drives I am a bit discouraged. The gas pedal and brake pedal are too close together for my 10.5 shoe size...I kept hitting the brake pedal as I switched from it to the accelerator!!!!

Tech, or anyone else who has a S40 (2004.5 or 2005), is there any way I can get the brake pedal moved to the left about an inch or 2???? Maybe I should call the factory to find out about it....I've read about other cars being recalled because the brake pedal and accelerator pedals were too close together, maybe Volvo will do this too?

"Extremely Frustrated"

~Greg

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I have never heard of it being done but I think it would be possible.
I have had the same thing happen when I was wearing my 10 1/2 work boots but did get used to it in a short time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE:

After posting this on a few different boards I've noticed that there are more people than I thought having problems with this pedal issue. I've also found that there are many people that have posted complaints with the NHTSA about this...the more people that complain, the better the chance of getting this made into a recall by Volvo. As of now there is an "active investigation" into the spacing issue. If you feel that this is a problem, please contact the NHTSA about your car!

For information about how to contact the NHTSA: VolvoUS

~Greg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello guys,
I'm having the same problem with my car. Mine's a left hand drive S40 and my shoe size is 12. Wonder if its the same problem on the right hand drives. Though I've got use to it, I still find it a pain working my foot around the small confined area of the pedals!.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Well I have to admit I have small feet and I still do hit the brake once in a while but what I notice the most is my posture when I do so.

Most of the time I found my self hitting the brake pedal when I'm too lazy to sit properly. Not to say that this is an excuse and surely car should be design safely enough to seat in a more relaxed position.
However I found that it doesn't happen when I'm in a more sportive mood and sit firmly in my seat with my two feet well apart. I should mention that I have an automatic. The seating position and angle of the pedals have a lot to do with how your body is going to behave with the pedals.

Just some food for thought…

Greg

·
Registered
261 Posts
Greg, I have a 5 speed 2.4i but I have driven plenty of the automatics. The pedals on the auto's are further apart than on the manual. I must admit that the clutch and brake are closer on the S40 than on the Audi or the BMW. That being said. It only took me about 2 weeks to get used to it. Now I even enjoy the fact that the pedals are closer together(faster shift times than on the Bimmer).

If you are size 11 or bigger foot, you may want to invest in the Heico pedals (just my opinion). Even then, my good friend wears a size 13 and he loves driving my car

P.S. @ Master777 the Heico Kit can open up a little bit of room next to the clutch if you dont mind removing some padding underneath the carpet.

Cheers

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yea! I didn't know if spacing was different on the S40 manual stick shift and I'm glad to know that now.

No denying that the pedals are closer on this car than most cars even with the automatic but I like what you are saying Niko about faster shift times than on the Bimmer. I think that there's something to say about that and in some way relates to what I was talking about. If the pedals bother too many people that's a marketing problem for Volvo but it doesn't make this a lesser car for its sportier attitude (which was somewhat the goal for Volvo with the S40, lets not forget).

It is my first Volvo and maybe for some it is the clash between Volvo safety reputation and this sportier pedal placement that is hard to digest.

Greg

·
Registered
261 Posts
Greg,
I think your right. Its like you were saying about seating position. when you sit up straight in the seat (as designed) the pedals are much less of a problem. I also agree that if you are buying an S40 5 or 6 speed you are probably more apt to be a more involved driver and marketing has played a role in the design.

Just my 2 pennies.
J

1 - 10 of 10 Posts