Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I just got my 1994 850 Wagon waxed and it now shines!! However, the company that waxed it said they noticed some of the green (colour of my car) on their cloth after waxing. If i rub my hand over the car, i also see some green "dust" on my hand!!! What should i do to save my paint job??

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The only thing I could suggest it to talk to someone that knows that feild.
A body shop or something like that.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Hi Rpritch,

I'm not an expert on paintworks, nor am I yet on volvos, but generally, I think your paintwork is in SERIOUS need of attention!

If the paint doesn't wear-off that easily before, maybe you should consider using other kinds of more paint-friendly waxes.

I would suggest you visit a paintworks shop, the soonest. Unless, of course, you are just waiting for a reason to change the colour of your ride.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is a photo of the problem...normal? oxidized paint? needs a good polish and wax? I have no idea...any info whould be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Again, I am not an expert on paintwork, but I seriously doubt this is normal.

Come to think of it, I remembered my dad's Toyota Starlet 1.3L that gave the same problem long ago. We took the easy way out by sending it to the oven for a respray of a different colour. (From silver to white). I remember he had to pay a little extra cos the painter/sprayer had to scrape the car first, or something like that.

Make sense, ah?

Has your 855 been subjected to harsh environment abuse? Parking in direct hot sunlight, outside of garage, with morning dew, and all? All the environment forces are not very friendly to the paint finishes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am the 2nd owner, but I think the car was always kept outside (in Canada). The exterior was not frequently washed. I am not sure that the clearcoat is gone...wouldnt it jut be gone in patches. The car's paint is consitent all over!

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Looking at the car, the paint does look good.

Well, if I were to suspect anything, I think it has to be the clearcoat, as you pointed out. There is a chance that the clearcoat is just too think now. The patching out will occur in stages after this, I think.

The thinning of the clearcoats may have been caused by the type of wax that was used. Maybe it was just a bit too strong for the clearcoat to withstand. Try asking them if they have heard of any other cases that happened. In anycase, no point blaming them, coz, the paint is probably on the way out, anyway.

The pain here, is well, to make the amendments.
There'll be no point to just sending it for just a recoat. As it would not last. Depending on the skills and experience of the painter, of course.

You MAY (and I say this with extreme care) want to reconsider repainting the car. And when you do, tell them to add / apply a thicker layer of the clearcoat. So that the body may respond better to the environment outside.

But try talk to the painter first, he may have any better solutions for this. Like I said earlier, I am no expert in paintworks. Just trying to help out (actually my 855 also have a few cracks already, especially between the door sills, exposing the base paint already.
) and seeing it it would apply to me later.

And so, if you wish to have it repainted, may i suggest 'Virgin Black'. 3K paint. It's so deep, you could see you nose-hairs. HAHAHA!

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
And also, need to hide that 'scar' on the rear left door, left by some moron, when I parked at a public parking spot a few days back. I called him moron, because the scar was at least 5 inches long, and it was so deep and the cutting was so precise that (again) i could see the base coat. It couldn't have possibly been a small accident with any car, as I would have known it. And it wasn't there before i parked it there.

Hmmm. some people have nothing better to do in this world.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts