Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and already another question.

My passenger side windscreen washer has stopped working and after some rummaging around I find that the problem is the "J" shaped pipe connector that lives between the bonnet and the bonnet liner.

There's a red cap on that connector which I assume is like some form of pressure relief valve and given a recent sharp frost I guess that things got blocked ... now water pees out of the top of that red cap and doesn't hit the passenger side washer jet.

I've checked that the passenger side washer jets are now clear of blockages (and ice) but that "J" connector still blows water out of the red cap rather than the passenger side washer jets. The drivers side still squirt but obviously at a lower pressure given that most of it is just blowing away.

Anyone know what the hell that connector is called so I can order one from my local Volvo dealer?

Phil

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It is called a washer valve it is designed to hold pressure at the valve.So when you hit the washers the fluid is there instead of having to wait 10 to 15 seconds.Here in the U.S. it is called a washer valve.Im not sure if it is called the same there.When it comes out of the hole in the cap that means it is bad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - effected a temporary fix by removing the innards of the valve and filling the red cap with hot melt glue. Don't seem to be suffering any sort of drain back into the washer bottle at the moment so hopefully that will be fine until I get a replacement.

One thing my father in law suggested today was getting hold of a set of the washer jets from the current V70 (he has one) as they spray an area rather than just give a couple of single jets ... anyone have any opinions on whether this is likely to be just a simple swap / good idea as the washer jets on his V70 are bloody good!

Phil

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Im not sure if they are the same.When you go to get the replacement valve.Ask if they can show you one of each and see if they are the same.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Jan 16 2005, 02:34 AM)Im not sure if they are the same.When you go to get the replacement valve.Ask if they can show you one of each and see if they are the same.
[snapback]2324[/snapback]​

LOL - You obviously haven't met the staff at my local Volvo parts dealership.

Phil

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Ok then remove your washer jet and then borrow one of your father inlaws and try it and see if it works and looks the same.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My father-in-law is in the UK's Volvo Owners Club (God that sounds sad!) and apparently there's been a few 440 and 480 owners that have said that they've put the V70 washer nozzles on their cars.

But I'll let you know what I find out ... should (all being well) be able to get to the dealers Saturday to place my order.

Phil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts