Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please dont shoot the messenger but it seems to me from reading posts there are far more problems AND far harder to fix for the nrewer volvos with analog electonic control and even more so with digital electronic control than for the older models with straight electric/mechanical/vacuum control

any comments

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
QUOTE(The Doctor @ Aug 6 2005, 11:54 PM)any comments
[snapback]12981[/snapback]​

Way too technical for me Doc, U mind if I just take your word for it?

·
Registered
224 Posts
i consider electronics to be more unreliable than "traditional mechanical solutions". They may work "better" for longer but once broke thats it, unrepairable at the road side, the whole lot has to be changed, only the main dealers have the right kit to fix and it costs mega bucks

A few months back the ecu unit packed in on the motorway on my last vauxhall. Dealers had it 3 days. whenever my points slipped on any of my old cars it was a case of get the finger nail in there as a rough guide and tighten with the multi tool in the side pocket. May have got wet for a few mins on a cold dark night but i got home and that was the end of it, non of this sitting around for a few hours waiting for a breakdown truck, followed by open wallet surgery.

Also feel the electronics take away the "feel" and the "soul" of a vehicle.

Bugger.....im a pipe and slippers man already and only 34

Modern crap

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
I think some of it is due to the electronics in the new cars. I mean, I had to get a software update for the a/c! WTF?!?!?! Even if u wanted to fix alot of this stuff on your own, u cant.

I think another aspect may be that guys with older cars work on the cars themselves, and might not need this forum as much as the rest of us.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I agree with S60 about people working on their own cars that are older. But, I also asked my grandfather about some of the new cars he purchased over the years. He has assured me that they had problems when they were first introduced as well and it always take time for people to learn how to fix those problems. Over the years most "car" people learned how to fix these problems themselves.

A good example is: now I have an OBDII program for my laptop that can diagnose many problems on my 2005 S40. I am sure that I am not the only one learning how to read this info. Give it time and a laptop will be as common as a timing light for fixing a vehicle. Is that good...I don't know. I enjoy working on older cars, but I also enjoy learning about my new S40.

Just my 2 pennies
J

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
QUOTE(niko05 @ Aug 7 2005, 07:40 PM) now I have an OBDII program for my laptop that can diagnose many problems on my 2005 S40.
[snapback]13034[/snapback]​

Where do u get a program like that, from Volvo?

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(niko05 @ Aug 8 2005, 09:40 AM)I agree with S60 about people working on their own cars that are older. But, I also asked my grandfather about some of the new cars he purchased over the years. He has assured me that they had problems when they were first introduced as well and it always take time for people to learn how to fix those problems. Over the years most "car" people learned how to fix these problems themselves.

A good example is: now I have an OBDII program for my laptop that can diagnose many problems on my 2005 S40. I am sure that I am not the only one learning how to read this info. Give it time and a laptop will be as common as a timing light for fixing a vehicle. Is that good...I don't know. I enjoy working on older cars, but I also enjoy learning about my new S40.

Just my 2 pennies
J
[snapback]13034[/snapback]​

and 2 pennies well said

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(The Doctor @ Aug 7 2005, 11:54 AM)Please dont shoot the messenger ....
[snapback]12981[/snapback]​

Aww, man... What happened to the "smiley" shooting the man down?

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
I think I have mentioned this before - so if you've read it, it still applies.

Afterall, if everyone are able to fix their own cars, well, there goes the aftersales services for the dealers!
Playing devil's advocate here. That's also why newer cars have the 3-year standard warranty and extended warranties if you purchase them! Because they need to also provide jobs for their downlines. Imagine if the the number of independent workshops grow up escalatingly... No jobs for dealers!

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(ampangbear @ Aug 9 2005, 02:39 PM)I think I have mentioned this before - so if you've read it, it still applies.

Afterall, if everyone are able to fix their own cars, well, there goes the aftersales services for the dealers!
Playing devil's advocate here. That's also why newer cars have the 3-year standard warranty and extended warranties if you purchase them! Because they need to also provide jobs for their downlines. Imagine if the the number of independent workshops grow up escalatingly... No jobs for dealers!

[snapback]13172[/snapback]​

BTW, has anyone ever wondered if the 3-year warranty costs (supposedly to be borne by the dealers or Volvo) were ever 'impliedly imputed' into the original selling price?

Again, being a
here...

Thee hee hee...

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have done a bit of research into this and indeed, in most cases you are correct.
The whole "S" series seems to be prone to some major faliures.
Also the 850 series has its share of catastrophies.

But the fact is there are a host of older models with their share of problems too.
The 83/84 240s were made for one year only and have terrible reputations for reliability.
And they are hard to find parts for because they are not interchangeable with the super reliable 85 - 92 240s.
Also the early v6 models with mechanical fuel injection were bloody awful and even caught on fire!!
My late model 760 (1989) has been great so far but I carry a few extra relays and an extra ecu in my trunk just in case.

That being said, after the early 90s, Volvos have definitely gone downhill.
There is a lot of reputable research to prove this.

So far my research tells me that late model 740s/760s are the best followed by any 85-92 240.
These cars all have their share of electronic components but are reliable and somewhat easy to fix.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts