Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took my 1990 240 GL into the shop to get a hard starting problem figured out. They determined that the car needs a new mass airflow sensor and oxygen sensor. MAF is about $300 for just the part, oxy sensor is $150 for the part. It also needs a tune-up (new plugs, wires, dist. rotor, etc.) because apparently it hasn't had one in the life of the vehicle (!). Needs tranny fluid change, and, oh yeah, the speedo and odometer don't work. No A/C either.

I got this car for free from my in-laws. Should I just give it right back to them?
It's got close to 200k miles. I don't know what I should get fixed and what is a waste with a car this old. Help me out here--I need your advice.

Thanks!

Adam

·
Registered
160 Posts
Oxygen sensors should be about max $75 when you ask for after manufacturer sensor not a Bosch. = as good half the price.

As to the air mass meter I recommend you go to a salvage yard and locate one to = the one on your car(#can be found on top of meter such as 007) must be the same. This then should cost you approx $75-$100 max. Very easy to change both these devices. Air mass meter on top of air filter. Take one off put one on. Oxygen sensor under exhaust side of manifold. Unscrew and replace. plug into same place by distributor. Good luck.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
QUOTE(corny @ Jul 28 2005, 06:59 PM)Oxygen sensors should be about max $75 when you ask for after manufacturer sensor not a Bosch. = as good half the price.

As to the air mass meter I recommend you go to a salvage yard and locate one to = the one on your car(#can be found on top of meter such as 007) must be the same. This then should cost you approx $75-$100 max. Very easy to change both these devices. Air mass meter on top of air filter. Take one off put one on. Oxygen sensor under exhaust side of manifold. Unscrew and replace. plug into same place by distributor. Good luck.
[snapback]12266[/snapback]​

Areed as well

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies.

The guy at the shop made it sound like getting a used MAF is a bad idea because it may not be in any better shape than the old one, but I doubt it. I was actually suspecting the MAF because when I opened up the air filter box, there was a bunch of oily/dirty stuff along the bottom of the duct leading up to the sensor. I wiped it out but I assume that junk got into the MAF and messed it up. (Is it possible to clean it? I may have read something about that somewhere, but it was for a different kind of car...) I remember that the filter box may not have been closing correctly when the car wasn't mine yet, so I wonder if that stuff leaked in there.

As for the oxygen sensor, would anyone be able to direct me to a website that carries one for around $75? I would be able to handle that much better than what was quoted by the shop.

Thanks for the help!

Adam

1 - 4 of 4 Posts