Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I opened the hood today on our 2013 C70 and found oil in the finger cups of the engine oil fill cap. No oil on the rest of the engine top. Cap is not cracked. O-ring was in place. It was on snug. Oil level in engine was correct. I can't figure out how the oil got there. The "O" ring is rather squared, rather than round, and I intend to replace it. But any oil blowing by the O ring should be on the engine cover around the cap NOT in the finger cups!

·
Registered
448 Posts
There may have been some foreign matter under the O ring leaving a small gap allowing crankcase pressure to escape and with the cooling fan and ram pressure coming into the front and from underneath the engine compartment, it is hard to predict which way the crankcase gasses will blow. Clean the cap and the O ring and make sure it seals tightly and evenly and see if the problem persists. If it does replace the O ring. Also a simple way to check if the crankcase pressure regulator has failed (possibly contributing to the problem)is to listen for a whistling sound under the hood with the engine running which goes away when the oil dipstick is removed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts