Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I am new to the forum, but I (hopefully) have a common problem with my 1991 Volvo 240, which has 165k miles on it (almost new). First I developed a valve cover leak, which was repaired. Now it looks like I have blown the main engine seal. It seems there is a problem with a buildup of pressure. The flame trap was cleaned in the fall ... any ideas what the cause could be? Thanks ....

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
With age the seals will get old and leak.Also make sure the vent box is not clogged.Did the dealer clean the flame trap?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was told by my mechanic that the flame trap was cleaned when I had a major tuneup performed in the fall (using parts from a major tuneup kit purchased from IPD that was supposed to, but did not contain a new flame trap) less than 4,000 miles ago. I will check the vent box. The seal must have been replaced when a new clutch was put in at 95k miles, so it is not that old ... hopefully re-cleaning the flame trap and clening the vent box will solve the problem ......

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Make sure you follow the small vaccum line from the flame trap assy. and clean the nipple that is in the intake where the vaccum line goes to.It might just be age with the seals.That is pretty common for the seals to leak with age.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't thank you enough for the help. I will take a closer look at the engine tonight. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts