Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a '98 V70 which has about 160K. She has been leaking oil for some time now, but not enough to warrant repair. I want to be pro-active and be prepared for the worst. Is it going to get worse? and how big of a job is it to change the seal/gasket. I imagine the seal is around $10 and job probably takes 2 days! Thanks, Snyderv70

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The labor is about 10Hrs to do.If your car is a turbo check the turbo return line o-ring first.If you do the rear main seal you will have to support the engine to remove the trans.It is kind of a pain in the butt to do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, new forum member. I live around Clarksburg, WV and my wifes car is a 98 V70 AWD. I have previously owned a '84 245, and '88 745.

Performed this repair on my 98 not too long ago. It took me a couple of evenings after work to finish it. But, I have a well stocked shop with a 10K lb. lift in it. I also have a transmission jack. The subframe will need to be disconnected from the car and dropped down to remove the tranny. I used tall, adjustable height jack stands to do that part.

Its not technically difficult. Unbolt everything and then bolt it back up, but without a trans jack it would be cumbersome to do it. I had a Haynes manual for an 850 that helped with finding some of the less obvious connections.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts