Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, when I bought my first volvo, was told to use only a Volvo filter, as it has a back flow valve designed for the car. Mann also has a filter that looks and is probably the exact same thing. I know the inside of a Fram is different. Does anyone know? Also, what about oil?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I would use the mann try to stay as close to factory as possible.The oil I would use either 10w40 or 10w30.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, this is what I have done, but need to keep a filter handy as the corner autoparts house does not stock Mann. Also, just switched to Mobile 1 as I read it will reduce ware. The engine is actually using less oil than before, almost none.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Thats even better.I tell you to stick to a filter like stock because the valve in the filter holds oil pressure when the car is off.This way when you start it up pressure is there and less wear on start up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Newbie,
Yup, use the Mann - it has the check valve so you don't have a "dry" start - so
says all of my mechanics (professional) said. Buy them on sale from IPD when
they run a sale. It is the same filter used in some BMW's, so it must be right?
Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mann is the supplier for Volvo, and as far as I know Mann filters are exactly the
same as Volvo for 940, and ususally half cheaper at least in the US.
They are designed with high filtering capacity (small particles)
whereas Fram filter less (and clog less also, but empty filters won't clog at all...
as a friend pointed out one day).

Look at ww.ipd.com for filters and price
Look at www.sweedishbricks.com for discussion on filters.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello, im a new volvo owner also (1994 940T) and i just bought 3 filters from the dealer for $24.99. is that a fair deal, and if not, where can i buy the mann filters?

daniel britt

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Check in an import specialty auto parts store.
Where in Fla. do you live?

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Hi there. Great presentation of the wheels. I see hours of work in the polishing. Would you care to share with us your secret? Like which polish, which wax, how many hours of work-did you have the car glazed?

Looks stunning!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
QUOTE(danielbritt @ Feb 17 2005, 07:48 PM)hello, im a new volvo owner also (1994 940T) and i just bought 3 filters from the dealer for $24.99. is that a fair deal, and if not, where can i buy the mann filters?

daniel britt

I buy Mann filters from eeuroparts.com. They sell 10 of them for $38.90, with free shipping on orders of $39 or more. They also have the best price I've found on Bentley manuals.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts