Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2013 XC90. Changing oil and removed filter element from filter housing. Housing remains full of oil and will not drain. I’ve done previous oil changes and have NOT had this issue. What’s the cause? Any solution? Do I need to worry about this? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
In the bottom of the filter housing under the filter is a spring steel ring. On the bottom of that is attached a rubber (or similar) disc which seals a drain hole in the bottom of the housing. Purpose is to maintain a full housing so there is. oil immediately on startup. When the filter is raised up the spring raises the seal up off the hole and the oil drains into the crankcase, so the oil change is not as messy.... Common problem that the rubber disc detaches from the ring and the hole then drains constantly, so you don't have oil immediately on startup. You must have the rubber disc stuck to the hole would be my guess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe that is the case. I believe the rubber stopper (lack of better words) is stuck in the closed position. I used a Turkey baster to remove all oil from the housing and the spring is working fine. It is in the up position with element removed. I can push it down manually. Appears that the stopper has broken free from the spring. Looks like I will have to replace the entire housing. I hope it is a DIY job. I’d say I’m a pretty good wrench but no certified mechanic. Since it is stuck closed and that’s the normal position, I don’t see a problem dealing with it right now. Do you agree?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes no problem at all. If stuck closed it is doing all it is supposed to do except save a mess at oil change time. I used a silicone lab-style stopper with the correct end size and just whitteled one with a sharp x-acto knife. Works great. The spring ring can be removed (with a little forcing) to facilitate making something that will work and attaching it. Otherwise you do have to buy the whole unit, which pretty expensive last I looked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your help!! Yes, a little messier than previous oil changes but I can work with that. Better than spending a couple Hundo’s for a new housing. I’ll leave it be for now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Scale Light Blue Azure Gauge
Watch Wood Analog watch Clock Gauge
Watch Analog watch Light Eyewear Wood
Here is what my solution looks like. So far so good. There are a couple of other forums with info on this but I haven't found them again. One guy (pbierre I think) was going to make some up some way, I sent him my original piece to copy, but last I heard he was unable to get that done. Anyway this works great, i bought a bag of misc stoppers online so I had a couple tries to make one that works.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts