Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep seeing this OEM acronym while i'm looking for parts, what does it stand for and what does it mean?

thanks

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
QUOTE(comrusk7 @ Jul 7 2005, 12:57 PM)I keep seeing this OEM acronym while i'm looking for parts, what does it stand for and what does it mean?

thanks
[snapback]11011[/snapback]​

well I got it from my working for an american corporation 20 years ago and it was Outside/Other Equipment Manufacture ie in this case a non volvo product

so a volvo might come with a "volvo" radio albeit it will simply be a "branded" product maybe from sony - but if you replace that with a Pioneer [or even a non volvo sony] it is an OEM product

the meaning might have changed but that was my meaning when I said OEM

with globalisation you can get every possible OEM product under the sun from american companies made in China at very low prices because people work for $1 a day

It may be wrong morally but what the hey - its good for me so Im all right jack

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
OEM means Originaly parts
Aftermarket parts are aftermarket parts.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
well it may mean orig to you [and I respect that view]

but seems the question was directed to MY use of OEM [ie ref to OEM seat covers/car stereos] so MY meaning was OUTSIDE/OTHER

But no problemo Tech - it is up to the querist to decide which interpretation he/she uses IMHO

·
Registered
13 Posts
OEM means just that. Original Equipment Manufacturer. As the Doctor pointed out, that can mean different things to different people. However, the accepted definition in industry (not just the Auto industry, but industry at large) is that OEM means a part made by the same company and to the same spec as the original.
For instance, if your car came from the factory with BOSCH spark plugs and wires, then only BOSCH plugs and wires of the exact same model/type are OEM replacements. Period. Anything else is "aftermarket".
There are many brands of plugs and wires (to continue my example). Most manufacturers will make a set of wires and plugs that meet every specification for the original equipment that came from the factory, but these are still not OEM. They are called "OEM SPEC". This includes the $1 chinese parts.
Stock purists will insist on OEM parts only and will not accept "knock-off" parts, even when they meet spec.
Thomas

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
guess it depends on type of industry, the use I had was at at a much higher level in corporate world where management/marketing decided to use their own product [eg at Carrier UTC we used our own "Building Automation System" at MIT and DisneyWorld] but I was at some heated meetings where some of the marketing dicks wanted to "use OEM" eg from Honeywell, which was a much inferior system

so for 2 years we had an arrangement with Honeywell to rebadge their OEM product as Carrier 7000 or whatever but the shit hit the fan, we lost customers and went back to the better product and no OEMs

but I can see where OEM could be used differently in auto industry where we are talking a mass production product

but bottom line is I was using it in context of MY interp when I was explaining the [possible] ISO connections on car radio so good to know there are 2 meanings and maybe I will not use the word again but just say made in China

1 - 7 of 7 Posts