Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1986 240DL sedan with automatic.
The OD doesn't work when it's not warmed up. I drive 25 miles on the highway each way to/from work. When I go to work, or go home, even on hot days, the OD won't kick in until I've driven 6 or 7 miles. Then it works perfectly as long as the car stays warmed up. When it's not working, I have to keep the speed around 65-70. I push the switch and the light comes on, push the switch again and the light goes off, but the OD doesn't kick in. Then, all of a sudden, after 6 or 7 miles, it just kicks down to OD and works great after that.
Where do I start with this? What's likely to be the problem?

Thanks!
Thomas

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Sounds like a preoblem in the trans or a bad soleniod.
When it won't kick in does the arrow stay on on the dash?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. The arrow will turn on or off with the button, just like normal. I did a search and everyone talks about a bare wire on the trans, or the relay, but that makes no sense. If it stopped working when it was hot then it would make much more sense to me. It's just bizarre. My Haynes doesn't mention the OD for an auto, only for manual tranny. Is it the same as for a manual? What book should I buy? Bentley? Chiltons? I don't even know where to look for the solenoid, much less how to test it. If I have a book I can do it.
Thanks!
Thomas

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The soleniod is located on the left side of the trans in the middle of the trans.It looks like a cylinder with wires going to it.If the soleniod has power then try a new one.If nothing then it might be in the trans.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
No problem thats what I am here for to help the less fortunate people.
I share my knowledge to help people save money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts