Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that I already know the answer to this question, but because I am a poor college student, I am always looking for shortcuts. Anyways, I drive a 97 850 GLT. In the manual it says that the lowest octane for this car is 87. Can I get away with filling up on 85 every once and awhile. I heard that low octane creates ping in these high performance engines. Any thoughts....thanks

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You should be ok filling with 85 once in a while.It might cause pinging but the car has knock sensors that will retard timing to help the pinging out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
QUOTE(xpiecemealx @ Feb 22 2005, 02:15 PM)93 all the way!
[snapback]3822[/snapback]​

I only use 93 too. If there was 91 available, I'd use that. 87 and 89 are too low octane. The manual says to use 91. I buy my gas at Costco usually and they just have two octane options.

·
Registered
12 Posts
QUOTE(Trix @ Feb 26 2005, 07:55 PM)I only use 93 too. If there was 91 available, I'd use that. 87 and 89 are too low octane. The manual says to use 91. I buy my gas at Costco usually and they just have two octane options.
[snapback]4058[/snapback]​

Just curious, 93 in US corresponds to 93 in Europe?

Cause I`ve been driven my T5 only on 98 for almost 10 years, my T5 birth on 24 of march 1995.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Depending on where you live...I live in Denver, you don't necessarily have to run the higher octane fuel.

Example: I have a 97 850-R which the book recommends 91 octane, but I run 85 octane with no noticable difference in performance. I have run 91 before and cannot tell any difference, although, if I want to drive in the mountains, I will try to run 91 for the anti-knock and higher altitudes.

Some people run higher octane and then announce it just to run with the crowd. I don't care about the crowd. If your car runs fine on the lower octane, then save yourself some money and use it. If you find that your car continually run poor with the lower octane, then by all means, run the higher octane if it makes the car run smoothly.

I have also been told that 85 octane in Denver is equivalent to 87 octane at sea level. The minimum octane I am supposed to use is 87. If I were at sea level I would probably use 87. I like to save money when I can.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(zman1621 @ Feb 22 2005, 01:53 AM)I think that I already know the answer to this question, but because I am a poor college student, I am always looking for shortcuts. Anyways, I drive a 97 850 GLT. In the manual it says that the lowest octane for this car is 87. Can I get away with filling up on 85 every once and awhile. I heard that low octane creates ping in these high performance engines. Any thoughts....thanks
[snapback]3759[/snapback]​

Or you could go for 85 and buy Octane Boosters if they make economic sense to you. (IF!!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts