Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 850 Turbo wagon that has an intermittent oil leak. The oil os freash looking and is about 3 inches wide and will not always be present after I park the car. For example I will drive to work after a 40 minute trip and then leave several hours later and there will not be a spot. When I park the car at home in the garage there may or may not be a leak.

The location is on the right side just beneatht the region of the oil filter. I have had the oil changed since this has started and the leak is still there. Also, I have been checking the oil level and there is virtually no change, i.e. I have not had to add any oil since 2,000 miles now.

Any thoughts? I have crawled under the car and cannot see anythink suspicious, but it is really hard to see anyway.

Sal

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
There is a possibility that the breather box is leaking it.Or could also be a cam seal.

·
Registered
49 Posts
QUOTE(letti001 @ Feb 25 2005, 12:37 PM)I have a 1996 850 Turbo wagon that has an intermittent oil leak. The oil os freash looking and is about 3 inches wide and will not always be present after I park the car. For example I will drive to work after a 40 minute trip and then leave several hours later and there will not be a spot. When I park the car at home in the garage there may or may not be a leak.

The location is on the right side just beneatht the region of the oil filter. I have had the oil changed since this has started and the leak is still there. Also, I have been checking the oil level and there is virtually no change, i.e. I have not had to add any oil since 2,000 miles now.

Any thoughts? I have crawled under the car and cannot see anythink suspicious, but it is really hard to see anyway.

Sal
[snapback]3984[/snapback]​

Mine leaks in the same area. It can be a couple of things. Yesterday, I was told that the turbo line leaks. I was also told that when I replace my timing belt again that they can replace a lot of seal that can fix lots of my leaks...I will probably do that in the next 5000 miles or so...since the oil leaks may be affecting the life of the belt too. I have 124000 miles on the car. I already had the rear main seal replaced a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
12 Posts
QUOTE(Trix @ Feb 26 2005, 07:50 PM)Mine leaks in the same area. It can be a couple of things. Yesterday, I was told that the turbo line leaks. I was also told that when I replace my timing belt again that they can replace a lot of seal that can fix lots of my leaks...I will probably do that in the next 5000 miles or so...since the oil leaks may be affecting the life of the belt too. I have 124000 miles on the car. I already had the rear main seal replaced a couple of years ago.
[snapback]4057[/snapback]​

Turbo line is behind the engine & if it leaks some services suggest to replace the whole turbo unit (~1500$+work) instead of replacing gaskets for 20$ cost.
As for cambelt: the main oil leakage problem occurs in oil pump, so the only needed thing is to change the oil pump gasket next time when changin the cambelt, for info: my volvo service (http://www.obukhof.ru/) advice is to change cambelt every 40 000 km.

·
Registered
49 Posts
QUOTE(850T5 @ Feb 26 2005, 04:59 PM)Turbo line is behind the engine & if it leaks some services suggest to replace the whole turbo unit (~1500$+work) instead of replacing gaskets for 20$ cost.
As for cambelt: the main oil leakage problem occurs in oil pump, so the only needed thing is to change the oil pump gasket next time when changin the cambelt, for info: my volvo service (http://www.obukhof.ru/) advice is to change cambelt every 40 000 km.
[snapback]4069[/snapback]​

I was told I would be charged $350 to change the timing belt. It was changed the first time at 70,000 miles.
I hope I won't have to replace the whole turbo unit.

I went to the website you linked but I don't speak or understand Russian....so it was Greek to me.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The turbo return line that leaks is in the rear of the engine and is only a $3.00 seal to buy and like an hour labor to install.He said the leak was from the oil filter area not the rear of the engine.I have seen a ton of cam seals leak and only seen about 5 oil pumps leak oil from the gasket or the seal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tech

QUOTEI have seen a ton of cam seals leak and only seen about 5 oil pumps leak oil from the gasket or the seal.

Almost agree but in my experience I`ve changed both of them (oil pump & camshaft gaskets) nly once at ~ 180 000 km.

Trix

QUOTEI was told I would be charged $350 to change the timing belt. Irt was changed the first time at 70,000 miles.

Changin the cambelt costs: ~60$ cambelt, ~40$ work. Maybe in US the cost is higher but $350 sounds like joke!

QUOTEI hope I won't have to replace the whole turbo unit.

Hey the turbo unit is behind the engine!

QUOTEI went to the website you linked but I don't speak or understand Russian....so it was Greek to me.

Tell me what you`d like to know I`ll give you a translation, oh here`s a good source to translate from Rus to Eng www.translate.ru

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am guessing cambelt is another name for timing belt? I had only heard it referred to as timing belt.

Tech: If you are anywhere near the Tampa Bay area then maybe I can bring my car to you and you can repair my leaks???

·
Registered
49 Posts
By the way, 850T5, I have more than one little oil leak. One seems more toward the front right and the other seems a bit more center/rightish back of the engine. There may also be a bad oxygen sensor. I've been getting the knock sensor code for a while now..but haven't noticed anything. My husband was wanting to put 89 octane in a few a few years ago but since getting that code I've switched back to 93 octane exclusively. (We live in a warmer climate.) I only asume they are related but I don't know that much about cars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Tech,

My 850 Turbo is leaking a good deal of oil. The shop said the Turbo return line is the problem and that although it's about $3 part, its 5+ hours of labor since they have to remove the turbo and will cost me $600+. I'm ok with DIY projects, is this something I could do on my own?

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The turbo return line should only be a 1/2 hour to replace. There is only 3 bolts holding it in the car and to the turbo.

You can do it at home in about an hour.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts