Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check engine light came on today. Auto Zone does free OBD-II scans and showed a code P-1132:

P1132 HO2S 11 Indicates Rich

Anybody know if I can trouble shoot the O2 sensors with a DMM (digital Multi Meter)? There are two - one fore of the CAT and one aft. They are pretty expensive to just replace them because they show a fault. One is $125 and one was $160something.

I don't have a Chilton's or Haynes manual and will do some looking online tonight to see if I can find some info on troubleshooting the Oxygen sensor.

Thanks
Ed

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK. I should have looked first but here is a link to a NAPA page that tells how to test an O2 sensor:

Go here.

You have to have a DMM and a propane torch and they recommend a vice grips to make it a bit easier. I will see when I can get to this and post my hard luck story.

Ed

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
These cars are common for the front one to go.But it is better to replace both or you will replacing the other one within a month or so.Volvo upgraded there sensors after having problems with them they installed a pigtale harness.That stopped contaminaton to the sensors.Air moves through the wires for the sensors.The wires would get contaminated with oil and burn the sensor up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTEBut it is better to replace both or you will replacing the other one within a month or so.

Good point. If one is bad, the other might go shortly. I should have time and energy this weekend to dig into them and see which is bad (if not both).

I will post results then.

Ed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts