Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2005 Volvo XC 90, T6 AWD. Like the car but...there were these squeaking/chirping noises from teh rear (behind driver) and middle seat. Problem got worse on bumpy roads. Car is at the dealer and am waiting to hear from them regarding the problem. Anyone out there experience anything like this ? It is very disappointing.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I know on the early XC90's they had a problem at the factory when they welded the inside panels.There was a peice of the welding wire that wasn't cut off and it would make noises while driving down the road.Also I have seen cross threaded screw in the sunroof assy. from the factory that made noise to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. After two days at the dealers' for a fix...got the car back today supposedly fixed but the noises started back up on the drive back from teh dealer ! They fixed teh problem by lubricating the seat tracks...obviously not the issue. Will need to take it in again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I've had my XC90 since 1/3/05 and the same thing started on my with the back seat 2 weeks ago. At first it was only when you hit a big bump or something, then in days it was making the noise all the time! I got back there while my husband was driving and it was coming from the built-in child booster. It would stop when I sat in it! One day later I was sitting in car pool and got back there and fiddled around w/ it some. Those little black wires on both sides under the seat when you flip it up? look like a curly Q? It stopped it and I haven't heard it since! It WAS really an annoying sound and I was getting ready to take it in to the dealer. It may happen again, who knows? Hope this helps!
Did they fix it?
Other than that I've been VERY pleased so far! The gas mileage isn't the best but it is improving.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well. it has been three months and multiple trips to the dealer and the squeaks and chirps have not stopped....just heard from the dealer, turns out it is a manufacturing issue with the 2005 models and a number of complaints have come in with these strange noises. I expect to hear from the dealer early next week regarding a permanent fix for this issue..will write an update.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More on the noise from the second row seats. The dealer was told by the factory that the bolts holding the seats in place needed to be tightened more than what was recommended ! The service guys did and so far no noise. Lets see how it holds up over the next few months. Turns out there were 3 other 2005 cars that came in with the same squeaking in the seats.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have taken my 2005 XC90 T6 Volvo back to the dealer three times for the noise in the 2nd row seats. Each time they try something new and it still makes noise. This last time they tried tightening the bolts and that obviously did not work. They also tell me that I am the only one with this complaint which I knew could not be true. That's why I located this forum. I will call them again tomorrow and bring in a printout regarding the suggestion re the integrated booster seat. Hopefully that will be the last of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any updates on the noise issue? I have the same problem in the back of my XC. It's starting to be nettlesome to me. It comes from the back, is high pitched and metallic in sound, but I'm thinking it's coming from the third row. My father-in-law noticed that there were two screws missing that anchors the third row in the back (only noticeable when you lift up the back floor panel, where the spare is). Screws were placed in this location but the squeeks continue. I'm going to bring it in next week, hopefully with some luck...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update on the noise 'fix'. So far so good, the bolts anchoring the second row of seats had been tightened in April and I have not heard any squeaks so far. The downside is that it is a noisy car, there is always some new rattle or another that comes and goes periodically. Seems like tightening the bolts more than the factory's recommendation worked.
We are toying with the idea of trading it in this winter....the product does not live up to its reputation, unfortunately.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts