Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a '04 S60 2.5T. There is a subtle winding noise (sounds like a faint door chime) at idle (650 rpm) that can be heard in the cabin, as well as with the engine hood open and you ear toward the engine. It seems to be coming from the driver side of the engine. The dealership spent 2 days looking for the source of the noise but had no luck. They were perplexed by it b/c they couldn't locate the source of the noise. Interestingly, they compared some 02, 03 and other 04's and they said the noise was present in the other 04's too, but not the 02 or 03.

Has anybody had this problem? You have to listen pretty carefully, but there is definitely a winding noise.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
The only thing I can think of is to check the intake pipes for loose connections, maybe a hole/cut somewhere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have 2004/2005 s60 too. I hear a faint winding/scraping noise too mainly when i start the car ... but I found out this was the ventilation system valves opening and closing - depending on what the ECC had been set to previously... i.e recirculation vs fresh air. I think they close at idle, and open when at speed if you have the recirculation function set to auto.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts