Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 86 240 DL and I dont not have any turn signals..I checked the fuse and it is good. Could this be the switch on the steering wheel..My highbeams work fine and if there is a relay I cant find it..pls help before I get a ticket.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Yes there is a relay for the turn signal but my book isn't telling me where it is.Check under the dash on the drivers side.You can try to leave the key on and see if you hear a click when you try to turn the turn signals on.Try to follow the click to find the relay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE(oxoxfiles @ Jan 20 2005, 10:59 AM)I have a 86 240 DL and I dont not have any turn signals..I checked the fuse and it is good. Could this be the switch on the steering wheel..My highbeams work fine and if there is a relay I cant find it..pls help before I get a ticket.
[snapback]2434[/snapback]​

the relay is behind the panel your right knee hits when you are sitting in the driver seat. sort of next to the storage box in front of the shifter. it has 3 prongs and is black.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a related question. When the relay goes bad, is it possible to have no turn signals, but still have a functional hazard (4 way) flasher? I'm pretty sure it's the same relay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have a similar problem. I drive an '88 240 dl and my turn signals just stopped working, but i still have fourways. i checked all my fuses and replaced the flasher unit in the driver's side dash, but i still dont have turn signals. so if anybody could help me out here thatd be great.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just checked mine and it sounds like the same relay for both. Try replacing it and see what happens. They can't be more than a couple of bucks for a signal relay so what the heck.
keep us posted -Troy

·
Registered
163 Posts
It should be a prerequisite for all new owners of older Volvos to have to take all the fuses out and polish the terminals and replace every single fuse with a fresh new one. This would save so many problems. Somebody should write down the top ten things that go wrong with these "Bricks" and post it...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good advice. After driving around for a week with half the dash missing while trying to trace this fault on my 1989 245, I removed the turn signal fuse and found that the fuse holder terminals were caked in corrosion. After a good clean of the terminals and fuse, I popped it back in and hey presto the turn signals worked again. In fact, I removed all the fuses cleaned (or replaced) them and the terminals, so hopefully that should head off any more electrical problems for a while.

What I discovered during the course of having no indicators was that the relay controls the hazard lights and the seat belt warning light. The hazards are on a different fuse and supply, so worked fine while the indicators and seat belt warning light were out of commission.

Also, found out while rooting around under the left hand side of the dash that the single inline blade fuse close to the fuse box is for the alarm which arms itself when you remove the fuse and then replace it :-/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts