Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was running perfectly, then yesterday morning, it wouldn't start. Turns over fine, but no indication that it will catch. It gets spark. I'm thinking fuel pump relay, but I don't know where it is located. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The fuel pump relay is on the passengers side under the dash. Remove the lower carpeted panel.Then look up by the firewall for a white relay it will be towards the right side.That is the fuel pump relay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is my first post and I didn't know whether I should add to Hipp's thread or start a new one, but because I am having a similar starting problem with my just-purchased 1991 240 DL, I thought I'd add to the discussion here.

At times the car starts with no problems, other times it will crank but not catch. I too am starting the search for the problem at the fuel pump relay.

Before turning the key all the way to the "starting position" (III on the ignition switch), I listen for the fuel pump when the key is in the "drive position" (II). If I can hear the fuel pump I know the car will start. I suspect the fuel pump relay is on its way out and and only working properly some of the time.

Yesterday, I removed the fuel pump relay and jumped terminals #30 and #87/2 on the relay connector. When I connect these two terminals with a short piece of wire, the fuel pump runs fine. But when I try to start the car with the relay disconnected and just the jump wire in, the car won't start.

My questions are, if the pump runs when I jump terminals #30 and #87/2, does that mean that the relay is definitely bad? and, shouldn't the car start if I'm bypassing the relay like this?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
2 things The relay also controls the ignition system and the second fuel pump as well.

The relay should have the date it was made stamped into the side. If it is close to the year of the car I would just replace it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for your response Tech, but I'm still not sure if the car should start with a jump wire between the #30 and #87/2 terminals on the fuel pump relay socket.

As you suggested, I checked the date stamped on the relay. It said 1997. I also checked the previous owners service records and found that the relay was replaced at 68,800 mi. in 2000 (The car now has 104,000 mi.). They must have put in a relay that had been sitting on the shelf for 3 years? I took the relay apart and didn't see (smell) any sign of any damaged solder joints. But the relay is 8 years old and not too expensive, so I'm going to go ahead and order a replacement and hope for the best.

It looks like the German company Stribel was the company that made the original relay for this car so I'm going to purchase one of theirs.

Until the new relay arrives, I plan to go through Chilton's list of things to check when the fuel system is not functioning properly.

Also, with the car sitting in the driveway, I've got more time wash, polish and wax her! Yesterday, I used a Mister Clean "magic eraser" on the headliner and was able to clean off all the smudges, hand prints, etc. I highly recommend this product.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
NO the car shouldn't run with just jumping those 2 connections.

Like I said it also controls some of the ignition componants.

Also look under the hood by the coolant bottle and see if you have black relays out there. If you have 2 one of them controls the fuel pump as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts