Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all, newbie to the site and I've something I need some good advice on...seems the time has come to look for a radio cass/cd upgrade with more kick to it and the radio must have lower bandwidth in Fm. We miss being able to pick-up the local TV station on 87.7. If anyone has a favorite hook-up with the requirements I'm looking for, please offer your suggestions. Price will be part of the equation so list what is the fair market value of the stereo you'll suggest. thanks, for your consideration. Linkslover

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
There are so many aftermarket stereo's out there.The best thing to do would be to start looking at diffrent places.Circuit City,Best Buy, stores like that.An aftermarket company finally came out with a dash adapter that will adapt a stereo to the dash.I am still trying to find out who makes it.If I find out who makes it I will post on this site.The only other thing you will have to do is have the dealer download software into the car to disable the factory stereo before installing the aftermarket one.I don't think it will work till that is done.Or it might work but will play havick with the computers in the car because it is part of a network.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Question for all? Might it be possible to have the tech guys in the shop work on the stereo to open up the band width so it can receive lower station of 87.7...now it will only go down to 89.9. I'd rather not have to give up this OEM with all the good standard features. Any one with some imput, your opinion will be welcome!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I changed out the head unit in my S60 with an aftermarket Alpine. Not a real big deal. The only problem is you don't want to unplug the CCM. That will throw the SRS system out of whack. I think if you have to unplug it, you have to make sure the battery is un-hooked. I have not done the download to disable the AUM, but I have no problems and no messages showing up. However, I have to have the car in Monday and I will have it checked for stored codes.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Let me know how you make out.We were always told at the dealer if the Aum was not disabled there would be problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just came back from getting my S60 serviced. No problems whatsoever with the aftermarked radio I put in. Let me just say though, I had the HU-4-- cassette deck that I swapped out. There was no factory amp or center channel. Not sure if that would make a difference. Anyway, the Alpine looks good, XM works perfect and it sounds good. I ordered everything from Crutchfield. They give you the install kit and wire harnesses for free. 320 bucks for everything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts