Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! I am an old timer to Volvos, my first being a '59 554 model. I currently have two 240 models, one is a 82 GL converted to a DL (by trashing that crappy V6 engine), and a '78 242GT that I've fitted with a Chevy 350. I picked up a lot of tweaks and quirky fixes over the 25 years that I've had Volvos, so any help I can give, I will. My '78 has had the V8 for 3 years, and this is the second car I have converted. It has a 78 Bertone interior, and the GT dash gauges. I have also added the 2" lowering springs from IPD. This is a scary fast car, but handles beautifully. My only problem is the obvious lack of traction under power. I would like to hear from someone who has installed a GM or Ford posi rear end in a 240, to hopefully avoid some problem that someone else has already figured out. I would be happy to share my experiences with motor conversions with anyone interested.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I will try to find out some info for you.There is a guy driving a 740 with a chevy 350 around where I live and he shattered the stock rear.I will find out what he put in there and let you know.

Welcome I like to see new things done to Volvo's.

I also have a buddy doing the same thing installing a chevy 350 into a 740 wagon.He beefed up the stock turbo engine and got a 13.50 in the 1/4 mile and wasn't happy so he dumped it and is working on the 350 for it with nitrous.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Talked to my buddy last night.They put another factory rear back in the car and added some extra brackets to make it stronger.They are pretty solid rears he runs mid to high 12's in the 1/4 mile with the rear using nitrous.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There's a kid down the street here with a supercharged, Ford V8 powered 242. He swears by the T5 tranny and 9" locker in the car.

Strange kid though. He didn't seem to want to talk about his car too much, and wouldn't let me shoot any pics of it. Like he was flyin' low and avoiding the radar.

BTW...I've come to hate the term awesome, but the sound this car makes at speed is just that.

Don

1 - 6 of 6 Posts