Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good day, im beging to do odds and ends on the car i bought for my son and plan to buy the book,but here goes. the questions i have are on a 1984 240 dl auto.what is the type of motor oil used in the crankcase. what kind is used in the auto trons ,what does the filter look like when i drained the oil out of it it looked preeety dark.the tranny filter is it reusable and is it hard to find a gasket to reseal the pan.the front disc mus be warped when i step on the break i get a thrubing . i went to remove the the caliper and when i loosen the last bolt on it brake fluid started to weep out is that normal ,this is my 1st volvo i had many different make old cars and enjoy working on them. please e me at [email protected]

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I would use 20/50 or 10/30 oil.

I would by a new filter for the trans.

Yes sounds like warped rotors.

I think you removed the wrong screws.There is 2 15mm scews that go from the caliper to the hub.Then it shouild slide off.

·
Registered
52 Posts
hi ya well lets see,oil should be 10w30.replace the brake rotors with new ones and put ceramic pads on to,they stop real well and give off verry littel brake dust i use them.now for the trans. get a new filter kit it comes with filter and a trans. pan gas.the tranny fluid should be dexron 3.i think volvos are the best cars on the road,take care of the car and the car will take care of u.if u need more help with the car and if u need parts for ot let me know.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
may I suggest best advice is to have yr son helping you with all this [including research] as this is only way he will drive the car with respect for the age of the various parts of the car, plus he will probably take over some of these servicing tasks from you the dad and you never know where such involvement might take him!!

I am sort of wondering how kids see an old "non cool" brick as impressing/not impressing their friends, especially girlfriends

seems my elder son thought my old volvo was cool but younger son turned up his nose at it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts