Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yesterday my car started doing a small vibration at certain speeds. I've allready "calibrated" the wheels but the vibration continues.

It's a V70 T5 with Geartronic. Can it be the clucth? The Geartronic?

I'll be taking the car to Volvo at the 22nd.

Many thanks.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The tires may be balanced but also may be out of round.

You could also have a bad Axle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tech,

Could a problem with the Geartronic be the source of the vibration?

A Volvo mechanic told me that a bad clutch can cause that vibration. Also, when the tires were "calibrated" i saw that the front right tire was wearing out on the inside. Since it's a fwd car i asked them to change the front tires with the rear ones and to "calibrate" the all four and to do a car alignment (after which everything went ok for about 200Kms).

I hope it's not a bad axle since that would be very expensive (i think). Besides, i didn't hit anything (i start feeling that vibration after i had to press the brake very strong at the highway...i was going at 200 Km/h when some guy decided that he needed to pass a truck).

Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure but i think not.

But i do feel the vibration either accelerating or at certain stabilized speeds (when accelerating it's worth). Can the engine "mounting points" need replacing?

As i said, i do feel the vibration but it's a small one. It never is something that everybody in the car feels (i notice it mostly at the gas pedal and the steering).

I must confess that i am a little afraid off the local Volvo dealers (they haven't even been able to fix the annoying noise that the roof makes...; since i think there's a post from someone regarding this matter, i will take care of it myself).

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
If you feel it only when braking then it would be warped rotors for the brakes.

Check the upper engine mount on the top of the engine.It is possible it is bad.Also check the engine mount on the front of the engine R/S of the car on the bottom where the engine mounts to the subframe.Look from undermeath through the little hole.If the rubber looks really clean and it has been rubbing the subframe then the mount is bad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got my car back yesterday.

They drove the car with another set of tires and found no vibration. Later, i too drove the car with those set of tires and found no vibration. So, maybe it was something with the tires (i am saying "maybe" because now with the original set of tires i don't feel the vibration...
)

Well, nevertheless they updated several software modules (the only difference i find, and i may be mistaken, is that the geartronic seems to be making more use of the engine torque).

Well, let's hope thar the next trip to the dealer is a few months away!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts