Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently purchased a wondeful car, a 1993 Volvo 960. It runs great, "purrs like a kitten till my lake pipes roar." Beautiful vehicle. Inline 6 engine., this tranny with that W-S-E thingie going. Cool! Love i!

My earth-shattering question is this: Now that the 960 is "no more," what is the Nomenclature that took its place in the new Volvo models? Thanks for your replies and responses.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Nothing really took the place of the 960 because the 960 was rear wheel drive.All the new cars are either front wheel drive or all wheel drive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A real shame if you ask me. While I think the new Volvos are ok they are nowhere close to being as cool as the old boxy ones. As a proud owner of a Volvo and Saab I am saddened by how they have become too "American" in my opinion.

Bring back the boxy tanks of the past

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
QUOTE(Axis72 @ Feb 21 2005, 02:00 PM)Bring back the boxy tanks of the past
[snapback]3770[/snapback]​

I agree 100% and rear wheel drive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too recently picked up a V90, I mean 960.

In the middle of the 1997 model year, Volvo renamed the 960 to V90.
V = station wagon
90 = full size, rear wheel drive

In a simular fashion, Volvo renamed the 850 SW to the V70. Same car, different ID.

I have the same in-line 6, W/S/E thingy and rear wheel drive.

My owners manual talks to the cars as being identical (for 1997).

So far, so good.

Steve

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
There were minor diffrences between the 960 and V90 one is the rear brakes.Be careful when buying the rear brake pads because they are diffrent for each model.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all th response to my question about the 960 nomenclature "change" issue. Still learning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts