Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, love my volvo. Timing belt change @ 160,000 km. seems a bit too long. Mak

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Im not firmiliar with km but with the 850's and the 98 S70 they get changed at 70,000 miles and the 99 and up get done at either 100,000 or 105,000 miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What are the parts that are essential to be changed as well when changing the timing belt when the car has reached 168,945 kilometre (1 mile = 1.609 kilometres)?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I would also change the tensioner,and both idle pulleys.When it has high milage it should be done.The bearings are starting to go bad on the high milage engines.Then they will make noise.If they fail then the belt will jump then you need a new head.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The '98 S70 was manufactured with 2 different timing tensioners: an automatic/hydraulic (which I have) and a mechanical tensioner. The tensioner or pulleys were not change when my car was last serviced (70K miles), and now I have 110K. To my understanding, unlike the mechanical tensioner, the auto/hydraulic tensioner need only be replaced every other timing belt change. Is this true? What are the chances that the 2 timing idler pulleys will last until next tensioner service- 140K miles?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I would change the tensioner at the second belt change.The pulleys should be fine till you replace the belt at 140,000.
Im just trying to save people some money.If something happens with either one and the belt jumps it is like $2000.00 to $3000.00 to repair.

·
Registered
6 Posts
How about the pulleys for the serpentine belts, would they last approx. up to 140K as well? I worked on a Ford Windstar and Taurus were the serpentine pulley did not last past 70K miles. I believe that some parts have an average lifespan. I like to replace them at my own time instead of fixing them when I'm on a long trip. Do you think Volvo pulleys are made better? Tech, your input is appreciated.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
They will last till atleast 140,000.Most of the time they will last to like 200,000 easy.They will make a squelling noise when they are starting to go bad.
That is known from my experiance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts