Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post here, but it looks similar to SiennaClub.org, where I've posted a similar message.

My wife's purse got stolen a couple of weeks ago and her keys were in it (for both our 2001 S40 and 2004 Toyota Sienna). I've seen lots of new remote keyless entry fobs for sale on eBay, but can I do the programming (I have the instructions for the Sienna, for example) or does the dealer need to do this? How much should I expect to pay them? Also, do I need to get a new key from the dealer only or do other places sell keys that will work?

Thanks.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
They key and the programming you will have to have the dealer do.The programming for the remote the dealer will have to do as well.You should be able to buy a remote from E-bay and it will work once the dealer programs it.
Be careful buying one from E-bay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The dealers I've called are quoting me about $200 a piece for a new key and new fob, including programming. I've seen a bunch of the fobs on eBay for $10+. One dealer told me that he could reprogram a used remote, but another said that you need the PIN to reprogram it, which usually is included when they are brand new. He said that without it, it's worthless. But, was he just saying that to make an extra $125?

I'm not sure who I should believe in this matter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes word of warning I bought a dud remote on ebay. Just be carful get the serial number from the seller and check its compatible with your car. I bought one from ebay advertised as working with S40 2001 and its turned out to be a S70/V70 2000 remote had to sell it on so check the serial with a main dealer to be sure.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Yes a used one can be programmed as long as it is for the S40.There is no pin# needed for the S40 and S70.The pin # remotes started with the 99 S80 and 2001 and up V70 and S60.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Tech. I was hoping you'd say that. If I buy one that was not programmed for an S40, can it be reprogrammed for my S40 or should I make sure that I buy one that was definately used in an S40? Why does this have to be so complicated? I guess b/c it's a very easy money-maker for the dealers.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It has to be from an S40/V40.The S70/V70 remote will not work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't like to be the bearer of bad tidings, but when I was at a dealer one day buying a few parts a lady came in who lost her key. She was informed (she had a VADIS Volvo):

- The key is a special key only available and cut by Volvo.
- The remote is a special remote only available as a Volvo part.
- When both the above are ready the car has to be hooked up to VADIS, Volvo Advanced Diagnostic..., by Volvo and everything replaced is programmed to work together.

I don't remember the exact figure she was quoted a couple years ago, but it was around the $300 mark.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings. :-(

- Volvo for Life

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2003 S40 and one key was lost.

Cost me $480 (R3233) to get get it from the dealer.

They key itself is part of the alarm system.

You can by the key separate from the remote but you'll have a problem turning it once inserted in the remote

1 - 9 of 9 Posts