Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 99 V70XC. It only came with one key.... Is there a way around having to fork out $200 to have a key made?? I live in Wa. state the dealer tells me it will be an hour shop time and then they have to send tt to L.A to have it laser cut.... Is this for real???

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Did u try going to Lowe's/Home Depot? If its just the key, and not the key fob, maybe a hardware store/locksmith could do it.

If the dealer told me it would take an hour, and have it made in another state, I would call another dealer

·
Registered
29 Posts
I do know the key itself is very expensive... it has a CHIP in it designed to work with your security system, and it has to be programmed. Only a programmed key will start your car.

It's kind of a nice feature, but once again, another example of over-pricing.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Most newer models nowadays carry the immobiliser function as stock. I believe it started with the 850 circa 1997-ish. Mine however, does not have one.

And fitting an original Volvo one is so dang expensive!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a key made when I first got the car (early 2k3). The dealership did it and it was something like 200, plus labor. I imagine this was to cut the key or program the chip.

I remember being annoyed, but this was just one of the smaller of the horrors when I took my volvo to the dealership. If that was the only place to service my car, I might've started driving an audi.

I've since found a great mechanic in portland, or who I'd love to recommend.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE(kingjms @ Jan 5 2006, 04:24 PM)I had a key made when I first got the car (early 2k3). The dealership did it and it was something like 200, plus labor. I imagine this was to cut the key or program the chip.

I remember being annoyed, but this was just one of the smaller of the horrors when I took my volvo to the dealership. If that was the only place to service my car, I might've started driving an audi.

I've since found a great mechanic in portland, or who I'd love to recommend.
[snapback]21618[/snapback]​

I'm going to be giving my '98 V70 to my son. He lives in Portland, OR. I'd love to know who your "great mechanic in Portland" is!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts