Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The CV boot on my '99 S70 just recently split. I'm trying to decide what I should do about it, fix the boot myself, replace the axle myself, or have the indie replace the boot. I have been unable to find any volvo specific guides on how to change the boot or axle. I haven't bought a Haynes or Chilton because they normally aren't worth the paper its printed on. Is it worth it for this procedure? Anyone have any experience with a shop manual on CD from Ebay?

It would cost the same for me to get an axle and an alignment as it would to have the indie do just the boot. So I don't know if its worth the money just to have someone else to it, or to try to do it myself and be on the safe side with a whole new axle.

Any comments?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I would say replace the Axle.
Depending on how you take it apart you won't even need an alignment.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Replace the axle only if it is clicking. If the axle is fine just change the boot. R&R is a piece of cake, and changing the boot is not difficult either. I'm a Volvo tech and can do them in 30 minutes from start to finish (book time is 1.5 hours). So even if it took you 3 hours (seeing it's your first time) You will save a ton of money. Even if you change the axle it will be cheaper to do it yourself. You will not need an alignment after removing the axle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Greetings,
I just replaced both outer boots (driver and passenger sides). The boot kits were $14.98ea at the local auto parts store. It took aprox. 3 hours per side like Sultan said. No alignment was required afterward. I used the Haynes manual for reference. The job was fairly straightforward but you will need plenty of hand cleaner!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts