Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a good deal on a head unit for my '86 740, and before I go cutting and splicing, I wondered if anyone out there has any knowledge of a way to use the factory amp with some kind of adaptor for the OE cable the plugs into the OE head unit. I guess I could use crimp-on male/female connectors to splice to the individual speakers, but a cable adaptor would just make it that much easier, and retain the stock amp. Anyone got any ideas?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Go to best buy or circuit city and buy the wiring harness to connect to the new headunit and the factory wiring.
Most of the time the harness is like $15.00

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm trying to install a new cd player in my '91 740. I bought the wiring harness that has two connectors but when I took out the old radio, there was a connector that looked like the ones on the harness then there was a round connector going into the "amp" spot but no other connectors. How am I supposed to hook this up?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You will need to bypass the factory Amp.Im not exactly sure how to do it but I know you have to.Someone here should know how.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I figured it out. I had to remove the panel covering the steering column and the amp was just to the left of the steering column. I just unplugged the amp and plugged in the reciever and it worked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey guys, i am new here and everything. I was wondering how to install the sony cdx-gt300 deck, yeh not great but whatever. Took it to bestbuy they said they wouldnt do the install because of the different amp.

I also need to put in new speakers. any suggestions?

thanks in advance boys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts