Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I bought my self a 850 T5 station wagon 5months ago.
It has been runing smooth and reliable except for a few tear and wear items i fixed.
yesterday I made my right foot a lil bit heavy on the accelerator and whent to 6000rpm on second gear... then got back to normal speed and drove for another ½mile, then as I stoped white smoke came in thru the ventilation into the cockpit and it smelled real bad. Opening the hood a litle cloud of smoke cleared and a big heat wave hit me making me take 3 steps back. What´s wrong????

I just had it tuned and served so its top condition. The heater gauge didnt go over half way. so it wasnt over heating. Shouldnt the car be able to run for 5-7sec on 6000rpms ???

Or is there a oil spill somewhere on the engine that burns when i max the engine?

Thnx for al replies.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Check the coolant level and make sure one of the cooling lines didn't blow.

Yes it can run at 6,000 without hurting it.

Sounds like a coolant leak somewhere.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
I agree with Tech, if it generated that much heat. The smoke part may just be the connection mouth of the Turbo unit to the engine. (It's wear and tear, I was told).

Have you found the source yet?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gonna check the engie and turbo connections and se if I need to replace something or maybe it was just to much turbo build when I changed gear? Might need to install a dump valve??

Tnx for help

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
I was informed that the 855T5s (your model and mine) come standard with the Blow-Off Valve (Dump Valve), but the opening is controlled so that the 'K-PESSHHHH, K-PESSHHH' sound would not be too obvious.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts