Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Friends! I'm completely new to a "forum" site, and its usage. I'm thankful for having such an opportunity as this. OUR PROBLEM: we have an 87 240DL. Have had very little problem with it for 10years. It is now stalling out when idling at stoplights (with transmission in D) and/or when beginning to accelerate when pulling away.
Could be vacuum problem I suppose. Might any of you friends have a suggestion?
Thanks very much. jack

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The first thing I would check is the engine speed sensor located on the back of the engine.It is where the engine and the trans meet there is a sensor at the top.If there is any cracking in the wire outside sheilding replace the sensor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
QUOTE(jackcarey @ Dec 22 2004, 06:45 PM)Hi Friends! I'm completely new to a "forum" site, and its usage. I'm thankful for having such an opportunity as this. OUR PROBLEM: we have an 87 240DL. Have had very little problem with it for 10years. It is now stalling out when idling at stoplights (with transmission in D) and/or when beginning to accelerate when pulling away.
Could be vacuum problem I suppose. Might any of you friends have a suggestion?
Thanks very much. jack
[snapback]1828[/snapback]​

check out brickbaard.com

another volvo forum, i'm not sure of the problem myself.

regards,
byron golden
86 245
92 245

·
Registered
11 Posts
QUOTE(Tech @ Dec 22 2004, 08:24 PM)The first thing I would check is the engine speed sensor located on the back of the engine.It is where the engine and the trans meet there is a sensor at the top.If there is any cracking in the wire outside sheilding replace the sensor.
[snapback]1831[/snapback]​

That's a good call for the LH 2.4 cars (89-up), but the LH 2.2 cars (85-88) didn't have that sensor.

Clean the throttle body first. Have a new gasket on hand when you do it, you'll want to replace it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Could be many things. Did it instantly start stalling? Has it been gradually declining? When was the last time it had a complete tune-up? Something as simple as sparkplugs can have a great effect on stalling. When was the last time the oxygen sensor was changed? Usually they overcompensate towards a rich mixture when old, but they can go either way. A vacuum leak is very possible, check all the vac hoses.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts